Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Update

bfgstew 8 668 105 England
8 Mar 2011 9:03AM
Hi all,
Have worked on a new home page for my web site aperturevision and just thought I would share this with you all, I would like to see how it fares so any feedback and critique would be gratefully recieved.
I was hoping to get the images to scroll but unfortunately Foliopic cannot host this (yet), unless I can write a script for it or the like, so this is the next best thing for the moment.....Wink
Many thanks in advance.
Stewart

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ian-Munro 7 200 15 Wales
8 Mar 2011 9:33AM
looks great to me Stewart, especially the way you have the images at an angle.

Its goooooood!
Ian
8 Mar 2011 10:38AM
Thanks for that Ian, appreciate mate.
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
8 Mar 2011 10:51AM
Your div class "content" doesn't actually constrain the content. - Makes for trouble some browsing on mobile and tablet.

Also, there was no indication that I needed to scroll down. - Perhaps lead the content with some faint grey lines.

Looks decent though, esp. If those landing page thumbnails are generated automatically. Smile - Make note of blue hyperlinks on a black page though, you can indicate them with a dark grey and underlining.
8 Mar 2011 10:56AM
I would also impose the no comic sans rule Tongue
kill-comic-sans.jpg

8 Mar 2011 12:13PM
Thanks Sam appreciate the honest feedback. I know what you mean about Comic Sans....LOL.
Will look at adding the grey lines and changing the blue links.
Cheers.
8 Mar 2011 9:53PM
Well I have given it a little tweak, changed font to something other than comic sansTongue Replaced the blue hyerlinks to light grey and it does look cleaner defo. I do need to work on the home page image a bit more, just to give it a bit more flow, for want of a better word, maybe add my intro wording into the frame of it so it looks more fluid rather than blocks.
Anymore suggestions or comments would be gratefully recieved.
8 Mar 2011 10:22PM
What I would suggest is having a centralised div element that defines the content size and is dynamically adjusted to be the center of the screen.

What that will do is allow you to apply padding and effects to each additional div inside of it, without risk of "spilling" outwards. - Makes it much easier for instance to have a single 1px "border" on the left, right and bottom of this div element defined by CSS.

That would solve your "content is down here!" problem by having the 1px border extending down to the bottom of the page.

Other than that the gallery implementation is really nice Smile
8 Mar 2011 10:29PM
I see were your coming from Sam, may be a bit tricky, as I am working within the preset templates of Foliopic, but with a bit of work I think I can pull it off, many thanks for some good, honest advice, appreciated.
8 Mar 2011 10:40PM
I think i have a template on folopic called "Mimic 2.0" - That is the basis of what I am talking about, but I understand the implementation can be harder than normal when using hosting else where.
8 Mar 2011 11:23PM
Will have a look at it Sam, see if it fits in with how I wish the home page to look like, will be intresting, once again, thanks for your help, appreciated.
10 Mar 2011 8:36AM
Have given my homepage a further tweak following some good and helpful advice.
Font changed and hyperlink colour changed, added 2 vertical lines either side of the home page image, this has pulled it in central and reduced its size slightly, it was over powering the page slightly so this has worked well and hopefully gives a funnel effect so you scroll down to the rest of the intro.
Any further help, comments or critique would be gratefully recieved.
Stewart
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
10 Mar 2011 10:04AM
Mostly good (you can't go far wrong when using a template service) but I do find the font size for the gallery names a tad too large and too dominant. There's no real need for this as someone with vision problems can easily enlarge the font for themselves. Also, I feel the Digital Art gallery needs a bit more variety. Simply repeating the same basic image with different treatments really isn't a great showcase for your skills, imo. Pick the one that works the best. Less is more.

Oh, and one other really picky point: the Sunsets Over Water gallery contains one sunset that clearly isn't 'over water'.

As you can see by the pickiness of my comments, the site is basically sound and hangs together quite nicely. Well done!
10 Mar 2011 12:26PM
Thanks Jools appreciate your honesty and opinion.

Retitled Sunset gallery....Wink, removed a few of the digital shots, yes there were to many of the same, my fault I love them. I can't adjust the font size on the gallery titles though, gonna have to have a look, see what I can come up with.

Thanks once again.
akh e2
10 1.1k 5 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2011 12:51PM
A couple of times you have used the word Flaura instead of Flora otherwise nice looking site.
Tony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.