Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Upgrade

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gashead
    gashead  628 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Apr 2014 - 11:16 PM

Please excuse my ignorance . THANKYOU for the previous help. So, I'm buying the D800 and have been advised to upgrade my system. Reading similar requests, can you explain 32 bit, or 64 bit so? Also I thought To increase my hard drive to 2 Tb was a major move yet I see RAM is also very important.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Apr 2014 - 11:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    6 Apr 2014 - 11:40 PM

Basically a 64 bit processor will do twice as much work as 32 bit because it's handling twice as much data which is why modern machines tend to be 64 bit.

Think of processor power, RAM size and HDD storage as like 3 legs of a stool. You need to increase them all in proportion.

mikehit
    mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Apr 2014 - 8:17 AM

Is hard drive space important nowadays? It used to be key when the hard disc was used as an overflow for the RAM, but with most machines having 500GB discs as a minimum nowadays is this a factor?
    A 2TB disc will hold up to 50,000 images from the D800, not including those you already have and for some people that is a couple of years' work so I usually think in terms of 2 options: have (at some point in the future) multiple discs in your computer so everything is always available or keep all your images on external HDs. I prefer the latter route.

thewilliam
    7 Apr 2014 - 9:54 AM

Every now and again, the data connections of HD drives will change, the most recent being from IDE to SATA. This means that it isn't always possible to migrate HDDs from an old machine to the new.

You could of course use an old machine just for backing storage because the ethernet protocol will allow you to network with the new machine and so move files when you need to work on them.

gashead
    gashead  628 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Apr 2014 - 10:36 PM

Thankyou all so much. As always this forum comes up with the answers. Again thankyou for those who input.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.