Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Upgrade

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MandyG
    MandyG  2 England
    22 Mar 2012 - 12:22 PM

Randomly - if I were to move away from my Olympus E410 (which I have outgrown) to the more popular Canon, what would anyone think to a second hand Canon 50D? Just throwing some ideas out there! Thanks in anticipation. Mandy.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Mar 2012 - 12:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

duratorque
    duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 1:30 PM

Its hard to say without knowing the type of photography you do. You have a wider selection of lens to chose from. Slightly more resolution but that does not make huge difference. I think the body is slightly larger and has better handling and faster focus speed and more focus points.

I would think about what you mean by you have outgrown it. What is it it does not do for you?

johnnyboy114
    22 Mar 2012 - 2:46 PM

The 50D is a good camera, but then so is any of the range from 450D upwards.....is there going to be a big improvement over the 410? Depends on what you use it for, the level of photography you are shooting at, the way you shoot, the quality you are trying to achieve etc etc....I have seen some work of seriously high quality, of publishable standard shot with a 450D, Pentax K100D etc etc...all cameras aimed at the same market as your 410. Your camera is a good camera, its all about the person behind it.....how have you outgrown it? Are you thinking of shooting things that your camera isn't capable of? For instance, I had a Pentax K100D, I took some lovely photos with that, so much so, I ended up getting wedding bookings and portrait sessions. Now, with a bit of better glass, it was perfectly acceptable for small prints for portraits, but was terrible for weddings as inevitably the low light performance wasn't great....very grainy at anything about ISO400, which I would regularly need inside churches, venues etc. So, I had to upgrade and ended up getting a Canon 7D with fast glass and regular use and borrowing of a 5D MkII....they both fit my purpose brilliantly. But, I think I would still have the Pentax if I was shooting simply just portraits as Pentax glass is some of the best about and the colour rendering with it was just lovely for skins etc.

So, do you need to upgrade? If its a case of wanting to and being able to, then seriously thinking the type of photography you are going to shoot will determine the camera you should buy.....the 40D was seen as a better camera than the 50D as the 50D was purported to have a few image problems at first....the 40D on the other hand is a backup and second camera for a very successful wedding photographer friend of mine!!! So, go takes your choice, but make a really hard think about what you are buying and why.....the camera does not make a good photographer.....but you should already know that! Wink Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!

Oh and everything that Duratorque stands too......its a good camera, the 50D, but for that price range and age, pretty much ALL cameras are good!

jamie75
    jamie75  2 United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 10:24 PM

going for a canon will open up a world of accessories to you that wasn't available in your olympus format.

same for nikon.

Pentax while being the oldest slr maker only make three DSLR's so they cram an amazing amount into their entry level KR it is a brilliant camera including the Optical stabilization. Which means every lens you buy comes with the anti shake ability in the camera unlike Canon and nikon there you have to choose between VR and non VR ( or OS in canon).

Go to a shop that sells secondhand kit and try some out ( google secondhand camera to find the nearest one to you I work for one of the largest in the uk but we are way over in west wales)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.