Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Upgrade camera or lens?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Scooby10
    Scooby10  4 United Kingdom
    5 Jun 2011 - 12:32 PM

I am thinking of upgrading my Canon 400d for a Canon 7D Would I be better off doing this or investing in some new L series lens to take my photography to the next level?

Also I will be taking some photos at my Sons wedding in August, what lens would be suitable? I have a Sigma 10-20mm for wide angle/group shots but need a good portrait lens that will cover a good focal range

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Peter

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jun 2011 - 12:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2011 - 12:45 PM

L lens hands down for me, the difference in quality will far suppass the quality diference between the 7d and 400d and will remain with you long after the 7d has been replaced, On best lens for wedding ill leave that to the exsperts in this field.

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6519 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2011 - 1:20 PM

I tend to agree, if your budget only allows one then glass every time.

Regards. - gary

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2011 - 1:37 PM

I tend to agree too. I never regretted upgrading my lenses years back when I had a 300D and they came in handy later when I eventually upgraded the camera body.

jken
    jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2011 - 1:51 PM

Lens's first, better glass will help with overall quality.

Scooby10
    5 Jun 2011 - 6:18 PM

Thanks. You have all helped me make up my mind, I will definately get new glass for my 400D.
    Peter

Last Modified By Scooby10 at 5 Jun 2011 - 6:19 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit  46163 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2011 - 12:01 AM

Glass first.

Quote: I am thinking of upgrading my Canon 400d for a Canon 7D Would I be better off doing this or investing in some new L series lens to take my photography to the next level?

What exactly is it you are wanting the new lens to give you? I may be over-interpreting your comment but is the lens really limiting what you want to deliver? 'Pride of ownership' is as valid a reason for buying a new lens as anything else (lord knows, I am guilty of that one!) but don't get it just because you think it will magically transform your pictures - you will end up with a sharper version of what you already get, not necessarily a 'better' picture.

Get loads of information before forking out a shed load on L lenses: there are some very good non-L zooms out there and several non-L primes can give L-grade zooms a run for their money. Many of the distortions in 'consumer' lenses (both optical distortions and chromatic aberrations) can be adequately corrected with Canon's DPP software which makes the gap even smaller. The L range give you better build quality, faster AF and the opportunity for constant-aperture zooms, but if those aren't important to you then you may not need that quality of glass. The better non-L lenses will do the job for most people.

As for lens choice, on the 400D I would suggest a lens in the 50mm to 80mm range. You then need to consider that if you want to use the lens indoors (at the reception for example) you may well need f2.8 or wider to cope with the low lighting. For a zoom the high-grade Canon lens is the 17-55 f2.8 (which is often said to be a L lens without the designation), however the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a bloody good alternative (with or without image stabilisation) and is used by several professionals. For a longer focal range there is the Canon 24-105 f4 (would this be too long in the confines of the reception venue?); or the (relatively) new Sigma 17-70 which is getting very good reviews though it is not a constant aperture. You should seriously consider also adding the 50mm f1.8 - at about 90 it is a cheap way to get very wide apertures and good quality.
    One other piece of advice is to experiment with the ISO settings for indoor photographs so that you know how far you can push it before the quality is unacceptable to you - having an important photo with noise is better than not getting it at all.

Last Modified By mikehit at 6 Jun 2011 - 12:03 AM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2011 - 12:08 AM

I would agree glass first.

As for your question re a good Lens for the wedding - I don't know the Canon range but something like a 24-70 equivalent to 35-105 on full frame will cover most optionsfor the wedding.

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2011 - 12:58 AM

Agreed on the focal length Nick. I'm no pro wedding photographer so I'm happy to be proven wrong if someone else with more relevant experience comments but I shot as a casual second tog at a friend's wedding recently and the Canon 24-105 worked well for me on full frame (I used the mid to long end mostly). So 1.6x wider than that on a 400D would sound a decent bet. Wide angles for group shots make the people at the edges look twice their normal size so it's better just to stand back a bit rather than zoom out unless you're sure the folks at the edges are distant enough relatives to never see the wedding album Smile

Last Modified By newfocus at 6 Jun 2011 - 1:03 AM
    Scooby10
    6 Jun 2011 - 5:20 AM

Thanks guys for help with lens choice. I already have the 50mm f1.8 but will look at the other ones you recommend.
    Peter

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.