Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Upgrade from Canon EOS 20D

mikeyc71 11 1.2k
9 Jan 2010 8:21PM
I am looking to upgrade my 20D to a 1D Mark III until I read a post recommending an upgrade to a 5D Mark II due to a much improved image quality.

What discernible differences are there between a 20D and the 1D Mark III or the 5D Mark II? Am I going to notice the difference in IQ?

I love my 20D and I find the IQ stunning from ISO100-800 and I am trying to find reasons NOT to upgrade as I probably don't need to.

Bear in mind I am not a pro tog and have made it my New Year resolution to start taking more pictures. I like to set myself a challenge to take the best possible picture I can. Also I have got 'L' glass: 17-40L, 70-200L F4 and also a 50mm 1.8 Mark I prime lens.

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2010 8:35PM
Begs the question why are you looking to upgrade, if you are happy with what you are getting why not stick to that? With their larger sensors, both the 1d3 and the 5d2 will provide you with better quality images.

I'm also looking to upgrade from my 40d, as I'm not happy with the number of out of focus shots I'm getting on the continuous shooting mode, but this could also be technique/skill on my part. I was considering a 1d mkIII until I posed the question to our Editor In Chief, who advised me to look at the 7d or if I could stretch to it the 1d mkIV, but then I need the autofocus performance, or if I had to proceed with the 1d3, then to test every lens I would be using before purchasing it. So that has kind of put me off the 1d3, even with the keen pricing at Jessops at the moment.
mikeyc71 11 1.2k
9 Jan 2010 10:00PM
I looked into the 7D and there are a lot of reports of soft images which turns out to be caused by auto focus problems.

I quite like the idea of the 1D Mark IV, but its whether I actually need it or not. I can't understand the price now compared to the 1D Mark II Iof 2 years ago -- its like the price just doubled! What gives??
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2010 10:51PM
Lots more reports that the "7D focus problems" are caused by people who haven't got the hang of the somewhat complex (but ultimately very usable) AF zone system.

I've just moved from the 50D to 7D (great Jessops deal) and once I'd read and understood how to use the system its fantastic. Knocks spots off the 50D system (which wasn't bad).

I've checked out my 17-55 IS, 70-200F4 ISl and 300 F4 ISL and all seem spot on focus (the 300 needed significant micro-focus adjust on the 50D)

For birds in flight it snaps onto and follows focus very fast and solid.

Still evaluating just what it will do but my feeling is that if you want to upgrade for sports or wild-life the the 7D is the way to go

(the only downside so far is that it uses different batteries but they are not too expensive when got as part of the current Jessops deal)
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 10:44AM
I would second Brian's comments, the 7D has a more complex AF system with more options and more user set parameters. So if you know what you are doing it will be great and allow you to tune it to your work. But if not, then it could results in lots of problems if you mis-set up the camera.

Its no different from the people who use servo mode for static subjects and find less than perfect results. Just there are more modes to select Smile

But to return to yourself, if you are happy with the output and happy with the camera just run it till it breaks. And another thought, I had a chance to play with a 7D, at ISO400 (50mm prime F8) and A3 print size no one could split the photo's taken by a 40D from a 7D. At higher ISO or larger print sizes with some lenses the7D will win out. And for functionality etc there is no doubting the 7D superiority. I would just say that in some instances the end result form your 20D will be very close...

So my thought based on your posting, Better the camera you know and enjoy.... Keep the 20D till it packs up then get a 7D. Smile
10 Jan 2010 1:48PM

Quote:Bear in mind I am not a pro tog and have made it my New Year resolution to start taking more pictures.

If you feel you're not using your camera enough, is it worth spending upwards of 2000?
mikeyc71 11 1.2k
10 Jan 2010 2:02PM

Quote:If you feel you're not using your camera enough, is it worth spending upwards of 2000?

Probably, not and that's why I am looking into purchasing a second hand ID Mark III. I was going to get one a couple of years ago, but never got the chance.

I think the time is right now as I have just purchased an excellent Sony VAIO laptop a few months ago for video/image editing and this gives me the incentive to use my 20D more than I usually would.
10 Jan 2010 2:50PM
I guess you need to look at what you mostly shoot before making that age-old 'crop factor vs full frame' decision.

In addition, if you are looking for reasons not to spend tons on an upgrade, how about a used 40D? A big step up from the 20D in lots of ways and not too expensive an upgrade.

Let us know what you intend to shoot and we can probably be more focussed with our advice!
mikeyc71 11 1.2k
10 Jan 2010 5:08PM
Thanks for the info. Actually I'd rather get something along the lines of a 1.3X crop as the 1.6X crop of the 20D (40D as well?) is a bit too strong for me.

I was looking at a used 1D Mark III, which I planned to get a couple of years back until I heard about an autofocus problem the camera had. I am interested in this camera as it has all weather and environment sealing.

I don't take my 20D out much as the weather has been crap over the last 12 months or so. I also heard about a member on here ending up with a dead 40D (I think it was) due to exposure to cold weather and condensation build up.

By the way I also looked at the 5D, but it has vignetting problems with some lens.
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 7:36PM
as far as I am concerned the 1d Mk III is an excellent piece of kit

Adrian
mikeyc71 11 1.2k
10 Jan 2010 8:11PM

Quote:As far as I am concerned the 1d Mk III is an excellent piece of kit

Excellent! Just what I want to hear Smile
Dave_Canon 8 918 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 9:23PM
I tested image quality using test charts on the 1D2, 5D, 5D2, 20D, 40D & 50D. I also wanted to upgrade my 20D but would only do so for a significant increase in image quality.

Of the above Cameras the two 5D's were in a different league with the 5D2 being clearly better than the 5D. The 1D2 has similar resolution the the 20D but was clearly much better quality dies to lower noise. At high ISO values (3200) the 20D was less noisy than the 40D & 50D but the 5D2 is outstanding.

I have had the 5D2 for almost a year now and I am very pleased with the performance. I can now crop images hard if appropriate yet still print comfortably at A3. However, it is the high sensitivity and low noise that is amazing. A few weeks ago I took a hand held set of 3 exposures for HDR at night (fairly well lit street) at 1600 ISO and the images were all clear, sharp and noise free (I was using an IS lens). Recently at a studio session someone suggested a shot of the model on the stairs outside the studio room which was very poorly lit. All but two if us gave up because the studio lights could not be used for safety reasons. The two of us which were able to take available light shots both had 5D2's.

Dave
mikeyc71 11 1.2k
11 Jan 2010 10:19PM
So you would recommend the 5D2 over the 1D Mark III given the latter has 10FPS shooting speed and environmental sealing? I'd like to take my 20D out a bit more, but given the British weather I am a bit tentative to do so.
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
11 Jan 2010 10:28PM
I really wouldn't be that worried about the 20D! Mine has lived in South Africa and survived heat and dust storms, been through severe cold and snow in Upper New York State and Pittsburgh as well as in the UK, been through more rain storms that I'd like to think about, had more contact with sand than I'd have liked at Donna Nook, and had a wave come over it at Whitby (it crept up behind me, we were both drenched!). The blinking thing still works perfectly!

Please note that I don't necessarily suggest you try all of these things!
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 10:31PM

Quote:Please note that I don't necessarily suggest you try all of these things!

Just some of them? LOL

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.