Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Upgrade from D80???

24 Dec 2012 6:57AM
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can advise me about upgrading my D80. I've had it for 5 years and would like something that has better performance in low light and better functionality in general. I was looking at the D7000 but then I thought maybe I should go one step higher. Considering switching to canon and getting a 7D and some good glass. I've only 2 Nikon lenses so wouldn't be a huge problem. I'm an advanced user so not bothered about scene modes etc. Any suggestions welcome!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

24 Dec 2012 7:01AM
What is your budget and what do you think a 7D can do for you that an appropriate Nikon body with good glass can do equally well?
24 Dec 2012 7:47AM
Hi Len,

My budget is about 1000-1200, was looking at secondhand 7Ds. I suppose the equivalent Nikon is much more expensive, not sure about the D7000, which is why I'm thinking of switching
edtaylor e2
3 104 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 7:50AM
I think you would be able to get a good Nikon D700 for that money. A very good camera in my opioion.
24 Dec 2012 8:08AM
Ahh Okay I'll have a look at that option. Cheers.
24 Dec 2012 8:10AM
I suppose that's still 1100 secondhand, which is why I was thinking of switching. Not that bothered about full-frame at this stage
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 8:34AM
If your two lenses are FX lenses I would definitely think about getting the D700, if they aren't, I'd still consider the D700 and make your next purchase an FX lens. I find the 700 with a 50mm 1.4 an almost perfect combination for me and looking at your PF I think it would work for you too. Would be interested to know what your lenses are.

I haven't used the D7000 but if I was buying a DX body again it's the one I would go for I think, mainly as it felt slightly bigger than the others in the DX range when I was mucking about with them.
kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
24 Dec 2012 8:35AM
Very unlikely you could upgrade much by swapping since you would have to factor in new lenes as well and I can't see your budget coping with that.
StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
24 Dec 2012 9:36AM
The D7000 could be considered as the top 'current' DX camera in Nikon's range at the moment. They still list the D300s (which is still an awesome camera) but various rumours suggest there is an upgrade coming at some point soon (although they've been saying this for about 12 months). From what I've heard the D7000 is a great camera; if you have no need for pro build quality it may well tick all the boxes for you.

Otherwise, if you have no real investment in lenses you could switch to the dark side (although you'd still have to buy lenses over there).
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
24 Dec 2012 9:59AM
It's a good idea to make use uf your experience and write down what you really want from a camera body.

Draw up a table with performance indicator in the first coumn, a "must have" figure in the second and a "would be nice" figure in the third. Finding which camera meets your spec is then straightforward.

As a vulgar professional, cameras are tools rather than toys so I upgrade as seldom as possible. This means that several new models pass me by before I make a purchase.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Dec 2012 10:15AM

Quote:

As a vulgar professional, cameras are tools rather than toys so I upgrade as seldom as possible. This means that several new models pass me by before I make a purchase.

I would have said you were a "pragmatic professional" rather than a vulgar one, William.

Wink

Returning to the OP's question, my first upgrade from a D80 was to a D300 and that really was a significant improvement. The jury still seems to be out on whether the D300s or the D7000 is the best intermediate camera at present - build quality of the D300s seems to win but the D7000 has more bells and whistles. So, as always, "horses for courses".

Spent a whole camera club Christmas social evening listening to a confirmed Canon fan bemoaning his decision to move from a 5D to a 7D - he hates the noise, even at relatively low ISO, of the 7D and is now considering looking for a secondhand 5DMk2 to replace it.
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 10:36AM
You can get the Canon EOS 5D Mark II with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM for 1,680 pounds at panamoz or you can get the body for 1,150 pounds. Its from Hong Kong, but Ive dealt with them and they are very good and I got my light meter in 6 days.
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 11:07AM
Why change systems?

I've got a D7000 recently and think it's fantastic, thoroughly recommended. Very easy to use and IQ is superb.
If you're going for FX and your lenses are FX then I'd go for D600 or D700.
steveh5 e2
3 78 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 11:20AM
I also still use a D80 but have a friend with a D7000 that I have borrowed for low light situations. Earlier this year it was dropped into a local harbour, big no no salt water and electrics. It has some problems but I still working. The D7000 is a good, reliable and robust camera.
You can go higher with your budget but probably not switch systems, good glass costs. What do you need your camera to do? rapid shooting, low light, higher mega pixels for bigger prints. Vulgar professional he may be but William is right, list what you need and what you want then find a camera that gives all that you need and most of your wants in your budget.
22 Jan 2013 1:29PM
I think I'm veering towards a full frame, I have a 50mm which is transferable but a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which I'd have to change. I hear the D600 has a few problems however? But excellent in low light? That's one of my concerns, low light performance.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.