Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Upgrade Lightroom 3 to Lightroom 4 ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    canonfan46
    25 Oct 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hi all
    I am a amateur and have been using Lightroom 3 for a few years but have not been very active over the past year.
    I see now that there is a new "Lightroom 4" and was wondering if there was anything new in it that would make it worth while upgrading to.

Any advice appreciated.

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Oct 2012 - 10:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2012 - 11:38 PM

It's much better in so many ways, it's had a big design update.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2012 - 11:43 PM

What operating system are you using, I found that it will not work with windows XP Sad

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-4-run-under-windows.html

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Oct 2012 - 11:45 PM
    canonfan46
    26 Oct 2012 - 12:29 AM

thanks , i am using windows vista

Jack_Schitt
    26 Oct 2012 - 7:37 AM

John,

not being an expert in lightroom, i cant really comment on all the hidden away features as i didn't use them in version 3. but so far in my 'dabbleing' with version 4 the user inerface has changed in layout, some controls have been 'got rid of' and merged in with others or new ones. An example of this is the recovery slider - which has now disappeared and been replaced with a highlights slider, similarly fill light replaced with shadows.

the sliders have been tweeked to be (IMO) much more user friendly and offer more control - and adobe has still kept the old interface in so if you dont like change, you can in essence run version 3 inside version 4.

Go for it, you know you want to............christmas coming up, and all that!

Jack

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2012 - 7:43 AM

I think it'll run on Vista, but stopped supporting XP altogether.

Some of the new features I've used -

Colour moiré reduction brush
    Separate RGB channels in curves - far better for colour correction than a single composite channel, i.e. it allows it
    Defringe tool - allows fairly painless correction of axial chromatic aberration, which causes ugly magenta to green foreground/background fringing in fast lenses - previously difficult to correct for Canon users
    GPS support - you can plonk a picture on the map, and in conjunction with something like Jeffrey Friedl's geo-encoding plug-in you can embed all the location metadata in seconds (very gimmicky for some, but useful if you need accurate captioning)

Last Modified By GlennH at 26 Oct 2012 - 7:43 AM
    wicksy
    wicksy  879 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Oct 2012 - 9:14 AM

I upgraded and really like the new version. The changes to the basics panel are great - they are more intuative but also I think give much more control over how you develop your image. a really useful addition is the ability to selectivley change white balance using the adjustment brush, very helpful with more than one light source in an image. If you are not sure you might want t take a look at julianne Kostes training videos to get an idea of what it is capable of. http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

canonfan46
    26 Oct 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks everyone, very helpful comments as usual from EP members.

CTee
    CTee  768 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Oct 2012 - 10:06 AM

Been using LR 4 on Windows 8 Customer Preview and it is faster than running in Win 7.
    XP, Vista & Win 7 users can upgrade to Windows 8 for £24.99 from the web, need to check your PC meets the specs.

In the process of downloading the release version of Win8 as I'm typing this.

mikehit
    mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2012 - 12:30 PM

If (when) you do get LR4, thenupgrade to 4.2 as soon as possible - several people talked about 4.1 being slow and the move to 4.2 made it much quicker.
    I think the processing engine on LR4 gives better images than LR3.

canonfan46
    26 Oct 2012 - 1:32 PM

Thanks Mike, I have upgraded now and it loaded version 4.2 automatically.

I dont know enough about the workings of the computer so I will stick with Vista (as long as everything works ok)

Thanks again all

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.