Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Upgrade to Full Format EOS 60D vs Nikon D600

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Zeys
    Zeys  1
    31 Jan 2013 - 4:00 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm debating about whether I should upgrade to full frame. I currently do a lot of nightclub and event photography for almost a year using my EOS 60D and My sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS lens. I also have the sigma 30mm 1.4 on the rare occasion I do portraits (although I've found it's not very good and I'm considering selling it) I'm staying with events and hopefully moving onto weddings soon so I'm thinking about upgrading. I'm also going travelling in south east asia for 2-3 months in the summer and would like to as good quality as possible.

I've been looking around at full frame camera's and decided that the Nikon D600 would be the best for me (due to price range and features - I wasn't impressed with the 6D's lack of AF points, viewfinder etc).

I'm not sure if it is worth upgrading. If I stay with my 60D I will probably be buying the Tokina 12-24mm, or 40mm 2.8 for travel and perhaps a superzoom (haven't decided which one yet).

If I move up to the D600 I'm really not sure which lenses I would get. Potentials are the Nikkor 28-300, 24-85 3.5-4.5 and a 50mm 1.4. But the full frame lenses become really expensive.

I'm just wondering is it really worth upgrading to full frame or can I achieve what is desired with my 60D?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jan 2013 - 4:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2013 - 4:27 PM

Quote: can I achieve what is desired with my 60D

If you are happy with images from your 60D then the answer is 'yes' and it sounds to me like you have an attack of upgrade-itis. Is functionaility the main reason for changing (I will not use the word 'upgrade') ? or do you think you will get better images? IME in most situations you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between images from APS-C and 35mm bodies - maybe side-by-side and scrutinising images, but rarely will an image scream 'Yuk! you should have used 35mm body'. But the differences do start to tell in extreme circumstance: very high ISOs, very large prints etc.
    So why the Kinon instead of the Canon equivalent? What are you wanting to get out of it?

gingerdougie
    31 Jan 2013 - 4:40 PM

The Cheap 50mm 1.8 D Nikon is a cracking lens for children and portraits. My son has a Canon system and says that the Canon nifty fifty is also a cracking lens! If you upgrade then consider second hand for some of your FX lenses. Ffordes are very reliable! If you don't mind grey imports then look at Panamoz.

Zeys
    Zeys  1
    31 Jan 2013 - 5:24 PM

Quote: can I achieve what is desired with my 60D
    If you are happy with images from your 60D then the answer is 'yes' and it sounds to me like you have an attack of upgrade-itis. Is functionaility the main reason for changing (I will not use the word 'upgrade') ? or do you think you will get better images? IME in most situations you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between images from APS-C and 35mm bodies - maybe side-by-side and scrutinising images, but rarely will an image scream 'Yuk! you should have used 35mm body'. But the differences do start to tell in extreme circumstance: very high ISOs, very large prints etc.
    So why the Kinon instead of the Canon equivalent? What are you wanting to get out of it?

Perhaps I have, but I often look at the images form my 60D and think to myself they are good but I'm not entirely satisfied with them, there is a lot of room for improvement. Maybe that's me as a photographer? But the main reason is the dynamic range and low light performance. To be fair the 60D is isn't great in low light and I need my speedlite to achieve an acceptable standard. Which I don't plan to take that travelling with me. I'm also after the weather sealing and sturdiness of the D600. The main reason I'm going for that over the canon is I've been disappointed with a lot of the 6D's features. The AF system is archaic, the 97% viewfinder is irritating and it doesn't even have an in-built flash (I like to use it as a filler in the day time when I don't have my speedlite on me). Also disappointed about the lack of the vari-angle screen, it was something I was expecting but of course is by no means necessary.

I probably will be buying a couple of lenses second hand, but it requries a lot of luck to get it at the right price.

RoyChilds
    RoyChilds e2 Member 656 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
    31 Jan 2013 - 7:23 PM

Can say Nikon D600 is very capable really enjoying mine well built,weather sealed, excellent dynamic range and picture ,reasonable file size in RAW,very good battery life, twin card slot,minus bits , focus points cramped, few oil spots but not as bad i've seen on net .favourite lens Nikon 24 120 F4 is ace quick and very sharp plus Nikon 16 35 F4 wide angle again very nice . ( ps selling Nikon 28-300 on classifieds)
    cheers
    Roy

goexplorephotography

If you using your camera in low light then the 6D is the best camera on the market for low light focusing. Plus the high iso performance is outstanding. I have a 60D a 5D mark ii and a 6D.
    Yes the focusing on the 6D is simple but it really works.
    Im a pro travel & landscape photographer and the gps is a great addition. I had thought of getting tha 5D mark iii but opted for the 6D instead. So far i have no regrets. The 6D is the perfect travel camera and great in lo light.

The nikon is obivously a great camera too, but i think the 6D suits your needs more

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 12:06 AM

You will really need better glass if you are planning on going full frame. Travel zooms whilst they're convenient (I have the Tamron 28-300VRII) make massive compromises in distortion, chromatic aberration and general ability to resolve detail - the 'sharpness' thing. So you're throwing away a lot of the gain from a larger sensor there.

I'm not surprised you don't like the sigma 1.4 for portraits - it's not a portrait lens. OK if you're doing full figure or 3/4 perhaps, but it's far too narrow an AoV for closer portraits because even at a 48mm equivalent it is going to broaden out the features of your sitters - you should be looking at 70mm at minimum, but preferably a bit longer.

But that Sigma would probably be pretty good on a full frame (it's not a crop lens, is it?) for landscape.

I happen to agree with you generally about Nikon vs Canon at the moment (and my FF gear is all Canon), even though the 6D does have some nice features (like WiFi, GPS and pretty good low light performance).

But were I starting afresh - particularly with the silly prices Canon are putting on their new L lenses - I would probably plump for Nikon. Having used both systems I personally prefer Nikon's ergonomics, but there's always an adjustment to consider when switching marques - and that could slow down your working process and frustrate you for a while.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 1 Feb 2013 - 12:07 AM
    jimthistle73
    1 Feb 2013 - 2:50 AM

The kit you're already using should be fine for the work you're doing. If you're happy using flash, you don't really need low light capability (and if your work is mostly in nightclubs, flash is probably a necessity!).

FWIW, I recently bought a D600 and posted on here about some issues I was having. It intermittently focused on a point about 6" behind the subject (24-70mm lens). It took me a while to realise that it wasn't simply user error.... Nikon did repair it for free but it has massively shaken my faith in the camera - I just can't bring myself to use it at weddings :-(

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.