Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Uploaded images too dark.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    alan a
    alan a  10 United Kingdom
    20 Jan 2007 - 5:23 PM

Hello,I have a problem in that when I upload an image to the website it is much darker than the original image that I been working on, I am happy with it until it actually appears. The problem seems to occur after Pixel& Resolution have been set & the image appears in save for Web powered by Image Ready. This seems to have been happening for some time.
    Any help would appreciated,
    Many thanks, Alan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jan 2007 - 5:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams
    andytvcams  1210396 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Jan 2007 - 5:29 PM

Are you saving them as SRGB?

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Westers
    Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2007 - 5:46 PM

Even after converting them to SRGB, and before saving them for the web, you should soft proof them using the monitor profile setting.

Here's one way of resolving it (I'm assuming you're using Photoshop Elements / CS2). Do all your processing until you're happy. Now save that as an unsharpened TIFF file - that will be your master copy.

Keep your master copy open and go to Image => Duplicate, and click ok. Make sure you can see both images on your screen.

Select your duplicate image and convert it SRGB mode. Keep your duplicate image selected and go to View => Proof Setup, and then make sure Monitor RGB is selected. Go back to View and click on Proof Colours. Compare your duplicate image to the master copy. You should see a difference between the duplicate and Master copy (you may need to click on Proof colours a few times to see the subtle differences.)

Now, make sure your duplicate image has Proof Colours ticked (or selected) and start altering the image to make it look more like your Master copy (curves, saturation, etc, etc).

The save the duplicate image as your Web version and carry on as normal for uploading.

What the above is doing is mimicking how your shot will look on the web (monitor RGB is apparently how the web displays pictures).

You can also use the above for soft proofing prints. As long as you have a profile for the paper/ink combination you're using then you just substitute Monitor RGB for your paper/ink profile. It should then give an idea how the image will look when printed and allow you to make any alterations.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    IanFlindt
    IanFlindt  9739 forum posts United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2007 - 6:45 PM

That's very useful guidance, Ian. Thanks for that.

alan a
    alan a  10 United Kingdom
    21 Jan 2007 - 8:17 PM

Many thanks for the quick replies, I intend to do as you suggest asap.
    Again thanks,
    Alan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.