Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Upsizing Low Res. images.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4551 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 8:04 PM

Hi all, I'm looking for a little help with a few low resolution images that I have.....they are 72dpi files, from which I want to print out at A3 or larger ? Clearly these will show severe pixilation, so is there a solution via a manipulation programme that will upsize the image/files without degrading the iimage ? I'm sure I've read of such a programme in the past, but I'm darned if I can remember what it is, or who produces it ? So any info. would be greatly appreciated....or is there a simple solution using PSE, that eludes me ????
    Regards....Niknut.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Aug 2010 - 8:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 8:09 PM

I could tell you the name of some programs, but then I'd have to kill you!

Firstly, what dimensions are the images you have? You say 72dpi, but the key information is the width x height dimersion.

People say you can upsize a web-scraped image suitable for printing, but I guess it depends on your idea of a quality print. I've tried it before and I don't think that the commercially available software is really capable of taking an image from ePZ and producing an A3 print that would stand up to scrutiny.

User_Removed
    10 Aug 2010 - 8:54 PM

You can't put back what has already been removed Nik. Fact.

72ppi is the optimum resolution for screen presentation.

Between 240 and 350ppi is required for printing - and then that is dependent on the original file size as to how big the printed output can be without resorting to a RIP process.

Smile

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 9:00 PM

Quote: You can't put back what has already been removed Nik. Fact.

I get the feeling that Mike, sorry Michelle, is beginning to regret his, oops, her recent operation.
    Smile

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4551 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 9:17 PM

Cheryl, You don't have to kill me ! I'm still getting over 6 weeks of very painful Rheumatics, which is as close to death as I ever want to experience ! but a programme name might bring a spark of life to this old plonker ! Wink

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 9:21 PM

An old favourite that you may be thinking of is genuine fractals but in many people's opinion this has been caught up with, if not overtaken by, Photoshop's own resizing algorithms.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 9:26 PM

Just google interpolation software and you should find what you seek.

See you made me feel sorry for you!

User_Removed
    10 Aug 2010 - 9:35 PM

LOL @ Boyd!!

johnp
    johnp  10139 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Aug 2010 - 10:00 PM

Mike's comment about needing 240ppi to 300ppi is, of course, the "received wisdom" we've all heard.

Before running my latest Photoshop course I decided that as part of my preparation I would produce a demo print to illustrate this very point. I selected a part of a portrait, including eyes, eyebrows and hair. All pin sharp. Everything from very light tones(whites of eyes) to very dark tones (hair on shadow side of face). Each eye measures 2cm across on the print (measured between the "corners"). It started at 300ppi (the way it had been handled following RAW capture). I then printed it six times, at 300, 240, 200, 150, 100 and 75 ppi. For each of the lower resolutions I resampled from the 300ppi version.

Oops! The 300, 240, 200 and 150ppi versions were totally indistinguishable to the naked idea. At 100 ppi I told myself I could see a slight difference, but I'm not really convinced! At 75ppi it was still very acceptable if viewed from 15cm away. Close examination of the pupils of the eyes showed slight pixellation but, as I say, it was still very acceptable. Examined via a loupe the story was different even at 150ppi, as you might expect, but who normally views their photos through a loupe? View, as opposed to critically examine, that is.

I reckon I could have put the 100ppi version in a 1000 wedding album and not heard a peep out of the client. Not that I would do it, of course!

John

Niknut
    11 Aug 2010 - 5:48 PM

Thanks for all the feedback....here's my problem...
    From my origonal image in PS Elements 5, I downsized the image, then uploaded to the EPZ gallery, easy-peasy OK, then I end up with 2 copies of the image in the PSE Organiser....the origonal high-res. image plus the low-res. copy. Once my low-res. image is on the gallery, I delete it from the organiser.....& guess what...twice now this old fool has deleted the wrong one & been left with the low-res. copy (oops!).
    So I now need to reinstate the image back to a size to get a decent quality large print (A4 or A3).
    There are a couple of snags....my computer skills are only 1 notch above a pocket-calculator !, & the state-pension won't pay for a pricey software programme !!!!
    I have about 6 images which need resizing upwards, so not worth any expense...unless it's a free download !
    I've just come across an article by a certain C.Surry re. 'Interpolation', so I shall read & inwardly digest & give it a whirl.
    Thanks Boyd for the reminder, it was Genuine Fractals that I had read about. (but pricey !)
    I'm still open to ideas...'cos I do struggle at times (self taught ! )....regards...Nn.

Niknut
    11 Aug 2010 - 8:04 PM

Yippee....EPZ's 'Tip of the day' right on the button....Resizing images via PS, in a clear understandable way....exactly the tutorial I have been looking for...thanks to Peter Baugh for the article, & thanks guys for publishing it. You've made this old 'f--t' a very happy bunny !!!!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.