Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

USB IR webcam

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315584 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jul 2013 - 12:33 PM

Can anyone recommend a webcam that connects via USB (or USB plus wifi) that has genuine IR night vision (not just a bunch of bright LEDs on the front), at a reasonable price (ie. say less than 50 quid)?

Ta very much

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jul 2013 - 12:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    5 Jul 2013 - 12:54 PM

You may not find a ready IR webcam, but it is quite easy to make one from any webcam. You will find plenty of manuals for it on the Internet. Usually it is a half an hour job with household instruments used.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2013 - 1:06 PM

Can I ask what they are for Bri???

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315584 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jul 2013 - 1:09 PM

It's for watching / recording the goings on in my garden at night (hedgehogs etc). I've looked at the standalone ones that record to a media card, but I want to stream a live feed via my server.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2013 - 1:19 PM

The same as mine then Smile

I use the ones that only glow very softly, but they don't bother the Hedgehogs, Foxes or the Wood Wice......Here's a very basic one camera kit that will get you started that comes complete with a USB Capture device, though you may need to buy an extra long power lead depending on where you want to site the camera.

See http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/usb-receiver-wireless-day-night-infra-red-camera

This system allows you to add 3 extra cameras depending on your requirements, but be aware it will only allow you to watch one feed at a time......

Our's is on 24/7 see Ade's Garden & Hedgehog Cams though you'll have to wait till darkness falls tonight to see night-time performance.....It's good enough for my needs.

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 5 Jul 2013 - 1:21 PM
    Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jul 2013 - 3:22 PM

You can use any ir camera, just run it through a composite to usb converter - I use an old Hauppauge usb tv box, which does the same job..... I think maplins do the converters cheap.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.