Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Use of flash with diffuser

harryw 8 67 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 11:02AM
I have a Canon 350d and have just bought a s/h Canon 320ex flashgun. I have to take some shots at a wedding disco and want to avoid red eye, I dont have time to buy a diffuser, so may use tissue over flash head. Will the exposure be correct or will the camera / flash measure the light on the subject and adjust the exposure correctly?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 11:34AM
I'm not familiar with that flash specifically but as long as it supports Canon's E-TTL metering you should be fine. The camera fires a low power burst and meters on that, then opens the shutter and fires the actual flash, so in theory at least the tissue should be adjusted for automatically.

Works on the 430 and 550.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Apr 2008 11:48AM
Does 350D not have flash compensation that you can adjust accordingly?
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Apr 2008 11:49AM
OR just angle the head upwards at about 45 degree's, And bounce of a ceiling Or light coloured wall.....!

Or make a simple wrap around diffuser and attach it with rubber bands....!
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Apr 2008 11:59AM
Here Check this out, I use something similar now & again for certain jobs, Works really well and cost's almost nothing......Smile

Home made flash diffusers.....!

Or the better bounce..... Great video tutorial...LOL
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 12:01PM
Yep - if you have a white ceiling that's not too high, angling 45 degree up and strapping a bit of card to the back of the flash works pretty well. The card bounces some of the light forward so the shadows aren't too harsh and you still get catchlights.
harryw 8 67 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 2:17PM
Thanks for the help everyone.
Like the foam reflector idea.
Sounds like the ETTL will gauge the power of flash required with a pre flash and adjust accordingly, so it does not matter if the flash is bounced onto the subject.
As the flash is bounced there will be no red eye.
Cheers
H
Daisy_intheMill 10 145 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 7:59PM
One suggestion for evening photography at a wedding is to use rear sync which helps to soften the image and can show movement. It will also help with red eye.
squodge 7 123
17 Apr 2008 9:13AM
I've often shot with flash pointed straight at the subject, but I do have the diffuser on the flashhead, the one that comes with the Nikon SB-800. I'm assuming your Canon 320EX has a diffuser add-on [one of those Sto-fen type things]. I don't recall ever getting red eye from it, and the photos look fine to me.

~ squodge ~
doug_7 9 482 England
17 Apr 2008 10:18AM
I hate flash and try to take pics without it where possible. Unfortunately there are times that you really do need a good gun or two.
I have the SB800 and a couple of Metz guns. If you use the diffuser supplied with the gun you could still end up with shadows.
I now use the Gary Fong whale tail with the onboard camera flash. You can select portrait mode instantly and even use gels if you wish.
Expensive but in my opinion the best mobile system on the market at the moment.
d.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
17 Apr 2008 10:34AM

Quote:I now use the Gary Fong whale tail

Do you have the reporter or studio version?
FatHandedChap 8 1.3k England
17 Apr 2008 10:35AM
After recommendations from other members I used A Better Bounce Card for an event I covered last year. I was pleased with the results compared to using a Stofen and now there's one permanently in my camera bag. It takes up no room and is virtually indestructable and costs pennies to replace. (Example Here)
doug_7 9 482 England
17 Apr 2008 11:33AM

Quote:Quote:I now use the Gary Fong whale tailDo you have the reporter or studio version?

reporter, do you use this system?
cambirder 10 7.2k England
17 Apr 2008 2:58PM
No, I've got a lightsphere which I think works well, the WT looks a bit more versatile, so was thinking of getting one.
doug_7 9 482 England
17 Apr 2008 5:16PM

Quote:No, I've got a lightsphere which I think works well, the WT looks a bit more versatile, so was thinking of getting one.

I think he built the WT as an improvement to what you have.
I have had a look at your PF (which is excellent by the way) and if you turn out work like this then you don`t need one.
I have already used it on a small job and it was brilliant.
d.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.