Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Useage of photos when entering competitions

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 7:45PM
Got a little over excited noticing a link via facebook to a competition to win 1000 pounds for photos of Scotland , having been on many occasions I have some worthy shots.

Then read the terms and conditions, and the photos can be used by VisitScotland or any of their agencies or partners ( in other words anyone ) forever in, in any way altered or unaltered, without need for further compensation or reward. That seems like a pretty good deal for them and a pretty crap one for anyone else , there are 5 prizes of 100.00 , would you sell a good print for 100.00 and its rights away forever or is it just me thinking these people should be paying properly for the work they use instead of scamming unsuspecting amateurs into selling their souls for a photo in a mag ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
29 Feb 2012 1:00AM
This is the standard method for organisations to get a [virtually] free set of royalty free pictures in perpetuity. If you read the small print of many competitions you'll find the same thing.

Sucks doesn't it? Wink
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
29 Feb 2012 4:50PM
even worse sometimes these "organisations" can sell your pictures to other third parties that you have provided essentially for free.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
29 Feb 2012 4:58PM

Quote:Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of their providing the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Telegraph Media Group Limited to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition

another one from the Daily Telegraph "Big Picture Competition" ; the last winner received a a Nikon Coolpix S9100 camera worth 249.99 ( a snip at 163 at Amazon); don't all get excited now.
29 Feb 2012 4:59PM
Yep and i have to say I have NEVER seen any mention of the photographer on the visitscotland or visitnortheast ads, these things are hidden in the small print too and it should be made legal for them to be made much more obvious.
Leilani 10 29 3 England
29 Mar 2012 1:42AM
Glad you raised this...was thinking the same about most competitions I have looked at recently. I am wondering if it also covers all entrants too regardless of winning, that's a nifty stash of images. You are basically trading your image for a potential prize, handing it over to someone who is going to make money from it over and over no doubt and losing any potential revenue if it does. Is it worth entering competitions?
29 Mar 2012 7:53AM
there are still some competitions that are worth entering such as those on epz where they are not about trading off your images, I have personally won a couple of prizes from EPZ and have had no issues. I would stear clear of any company that isnt themselves photography related as you have to then ask yourself ' what are they making out of it ?', and the worst ones are those that offer you a place in a grand final in vegas or ask you for money to enter your images !

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.