Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Used iPhone - any trusted suppliers?

AlanJ e2
1 495 England
13 Jun 2013 10:40AM
I am looking for a used iPhone 3gs for my son. There are plenty of online sellers through Amazon and Ebay.
Anyone recommended?
Thanks for any replies

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
13 Jun 2013 11:21AM
My son has a 3gs and, although an IT professional, he's finding it harder and harder to get newer apps to work flawlessly on his phone. You may want to see if the budget will stretch to a 4 or 4s, which have become cheaper now the iPhone 5 is on the market. It should make a lot of difference.

But, sorry, I have no experience with sellers of used iPhones on the Internet.
AlanJ e2
1 495 England
13 Jun 2013 11:35AM
Thanks Conrad probably good advice.
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
13 Jun 2013 11:36AM
Please read!!

If you wish to buy an IPhone from an Ebay seller double check the whole description. A lot of 'not very nice people' are selling IPhone boxes. They have in the description the full information of an IPhone and in small letters right at the bottom "This is for the box only". Please don't see what you think is a massive bargain and end up with a very nice looking brand new IPhone box! I was very nearly taken in by this when buying one for my son for chrimbo.

As for the seller, I used my normal Ebay rules..................make sure it's 100% positive feedback with at least 20 sells, if there are a few negative coments, read them, they may just be stupid comments, make sure its a picture of the acual item and not a stock photo and talk to the seller via ebay if your unsure!

My lad is very happy with his IPhone, it was in perfect condition and the seller was very honest about usage etc! The IPhone 4S has a better battery life than the 3, so if you can stretch to it, go for one of them instead! (I also spend 35 on a very sturdy 'military' type case for it to protect it!)

Andy C
AlanJ e2
1 495 England
13 Jun 2013 11:40AM
Andy thanks. My son is always stretching my budget Sad
13 Jun 2013 1:44PM
Alan

One to be aware of is exploding batteries, a mate at work gave his daughter his old 3GS he had on contract all original parts inc battery. It exploded whilst sat on the side not charging and not in use either. Broke the phone apart, thankfully it wasn't in her hand at the time or up to her face.

Google show quite a few cases.

Just thought I'd let you know as I wouldn't want your son to get injured.

Apple are aware of the issue from what he was told when he called them.

Stu
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2013 2:37PM
We bought a used 3gs from Game, they take them as trade ins....comes with full 12 month warranty too.....
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2013 2:43PM
Forgot to mention - also comes with a certificate indicating that it has been checked against records and is not stolen etc etc
AlanJ e2
1 495 England
13 Jun 2013 3:05PM
Stu thank you for the warning.

Kevin thanks for the tip.

Alan
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
13 Jun 2013 3:16PM
I have purchased two smartphones for my granddaughter and one for myself from the local CEX shop, the shop staff are usually very knowledgable and helpful....all used goods purchased have a no quibble twelve month guarantee ....

The phones? .....Blackberry that was exchanged for an iPhone 3 under the guarantee and my own Windows HTC Trophy that updates itself regularly and is super fast on the net ....quadraphonic sound for music too.

Just Google CEX .....I think they sell online too......I am nothing whatsoever to do with the company.....Oh! Nearly forgot.......they have great cameras, lenses, and photographic bits in stock too.

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.