Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Useless Uni Degrees

kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
3 Nov 2007 9:17AM
Yesterday on the radio I heard that there is a University now doing a degree in 'David Beckham Studies'

Can there be any more useless a degree out there?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
3 Nov 2007 9:24AM

Quote:Can there be any more useless a degree out there?

Victoria Beckham Studies?
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2007 9:38AM

Quote:a University now doing a degree in 'David Beckham Studies'

Its not true.
Story here .

As part of their degree, there will be one module on football culture, which unsurprisingly will mention Beckam. Could hardly avoid it really. It'd be like doing modern politics and not mentioning Blair or Thatcher.
pepperst e2
7 2.3k 4 Wales
3 Nov 2007 9:47AM
This story gets brought every year on a slow news day, just like the birmingham 'winterval' or eu bent bananas.
redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
3 Nov 2007 11:43AM
I am so surprised that people actually believe these stories it is so obvious that these stories are made up.

Earlier this week the Daily Mail (surprise) had a front page headline that said "foreigners are getting all the new jobs in the UK" you don't need to be Einstein to realise that was a made up story but I bet some fool believed it.
randomrubble
10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2007 12:28PM

Quote:Earlier this week the Daily Mail (surprise) had a front page headline that said "foreigners are getting all the new jobs in the UK" you don't need to be Einstein to realise that was a made up story but I bet some fool believed it.

There's some truth behind it though, using my business as an example demand for staff is so high that pretty much all British staff worth having are employed. Migrants tend to be better qualified and harder working than the available British staff, so we have little choice but employ European or Aussie staff ahead of the available Brits.

Quote:Victoria Beckham Studies?

In your 'folio, Col? Smile
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2007 6:10PM
Trouble is, every time you think "that can't be true" you find out the next day it is, so nothing, in the end, surprises anymore !
There are varying degrees of usefulness. Smile
SuziBlue e2
12 16.2k 10 Scotland
4 Nov 2007 6:32PM

Quote:Migrants tend to be better qualified and harder working than the available British staff

On average that's pretty spot on. Particularly the harder working bit.

Quote:Yesterday on the radio I heard that there is a University now doing a degree in 'David Beckham Studies'

Can there be any more useless a degree out there?

And whether that's true or not, isn't it interesting that a) higher education standards are being perceived to be sinking quite so low, and b) the news researchers couldn't tell the difference between a degree module and a degree - there again it makes funnier news to call it a degree Wink
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2007 11:26PM
I attended a graduate recruitment fair on Friday as an exhibitor, the number of non-UK nationals seeking work was high @ 20% of people seen required work permits.

On another topic its hard to get grads from the UK at a sensible salary, mind you when the banks are offering 25k to 30K as a starting salary plus a 5k starting bonus plus 3.5k if they make you work in London.

Small wonder so many engineering and science grads head of into finance.
SuziBlue e2
12 16.2k 10 Scotland
5 Nov 2007 12:23AM

Quote:Small wonder so many engineering and science grads head of into finance.

... or emigrate to where their knowledge and skills will earn them a lot more ..
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Nov 2007 5:02AM
It's interesting, it seems to me, that quite a few of the pro togs that I follow in mags and online, have backgrounds in engineering and science.

I met the Russian Cosmonaut with the record for time in outer space. He gave me his card, it states; Hero of the Soviet Union. Doctor of Human Physiology in Outer Space.

This was before the breakup of the Soviet Union. He added to that time during the breakup, as he was at the space station at that time.

Another Russian gave me his card, and it stated that he was a Doctor of Thunderstorms.
ZenTog e2
12 7.9k 1 England
5 Nov 2007 8:06AM
wow Doctor of thunderstorms ! what a course to study

a lot of Pro Togs also have degrees in Photography or related media courses , having a degree in a good subject shows you are prepared to work hard and commit for at least three years of study, in my case I did 5 years, would have done more years but couldnt afford to take a MA or a PHD as they are mainly self funded.

we had a lot of media students whose main studies were TV media and having to watch it as a learning path, most of those people were airheads and will end up in the PR / media circus that ends up promoting silly stories like the Beckham degree, so the circle completes its self

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.