Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Using a 4/3 lens on a micro 4/3 camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    offtheback
    25 Jun 2012 - 5:17 AM

Hi-I have a very newbie question and thank you for bearing with me.
    I have an Olympus OM D E-5 and saw some very good reviews on the Olympus 12-60 F2.8-4 zoom.With an adapter can this or other lenses designed for full(not micro) 4/3?Any drawback except size?I guess I want it all-convenience of a zoom and VG IQ.Thanks for your help.
    Any other suggestions on a wide-mod tele zoom and a tele zoom?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Jun 2012 - 5:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome
    25 Jun 2012 - 7:16 AM

The answer is yes, but I think there is a focussing issue. Im sure other members will have more knowledge about this.

steveh5
    steveh5  372 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jun 2012 - 9:04 AM

Yes you can get adaptors for virtually anything. The thing to check though is many adaptors do not connect the lens with the camera.
    This means all auto functions with the lens will go, You will need to manually focus, set the aperture and shutter speed, plus any flash settings. If you are happy with fully manual they are a great boost but they do slow things down.
    I did notice the lens you mention has no manual aperture ring, you might not be able to change aperture and be stuck at the F2.8 -4 end.
    Some adaptors do allow full connectivity so check, they are usually the more expensive adaptors.
    Check the specifications of the adaptor and make sure it does what you want.

Steve H

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    25 Jun 2012 - 9:47 AM

some info here
    and here

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2012 - 4:36 PM

Quote: I have an Olympus OM D E-5 and saw some very good reviews on the Olympus 12-60 F2.8-4 zoom

Not sure what your trying to say, you say you have an E5 dslr, do you really mean you have an EM5 CSC, there completely different camera`s.

If its the EM5 CSC that you have, yes you can use a 4/3 12-60 on a M4/3 camera with any adapter, but only adaptors with electrical contacts will allow the autofocus to work.

Some of these third party adapters that allow autofocus can be picked up for as little as 50 on ebay.

Another lens considering is the 14-54 f2.8, these can now be picked up cheaply second hand.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jun 2012 - 4:38 PM
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2012 - 4:54 PM

I've just acquired the Kipon adapter for my EOS lenses to work (manual focus only) on the EM5 and have put some comments + images up on the original EM5 threaa. Seems to work well for me

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2012 - 8:59 PM

LOl Brian I had`nt realised it had 14 aperture blades Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.