Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Using a monopod at Chester zoo.

MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2007 9:21AM
Hi....I'm looking to visit Chester zoo for the last time this year, I usually spend most of the day inside in the bird house and in the past I have struggled to get acceptable pics.

A friend has offered me the loan of a monopod.
D'you think this will be advantageous and are there likely to be any restrictions on it's use thereof.

....thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BEVZED e2
8 1.1k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2007 9:31AM
Don't know if they have any restrictions but a mono is far friendlier to use - doesn't trip people up like a tripod!

Check your lens though - my 18-200 VR says turn off when on a pod, numbskull here didn't and lost all her shotsSad Don't know why but it does affect the VR ones.

Beverley
Busseauboy 7 159 France
6 Oct 2007 11:47AM
Well, there you have it. Take two shots one with VR on the next with VR off and decide which method to adopt depending upon your result.

Have a good day.

**** M.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
6 Oct 2007 11:58AM
Generally lenses which suggest you turn off VR mean when on a tripod. A monopod is not as steady and you will possibly still get some movement, so VR on should not be a problem.

As I use a gimbal head on the tripod I also still use VR on this setup sometimes as again there is some movement of the lens during shooting.

Think **** has a good compromise, try both with and without.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2007 8:58PM

Quote:As I use a gimbal head on the tripod I also still use VR on this setup

...sort of belt and braces....

thanks everybody....Mike
csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Oct 2007 10:51AM
Not really as the gimbal head is designed to allow flexibility of movement in a couple of planes, either to pan or follow movement up/down.

So as it does not cause me any issues to have VR on I leave it on. Also when shooting things like the squirrels the shutter speed can be as low as 1/30th second on a 300-400mm focal length, so i feel happier with the VR Smile
AidanT e2
7 49 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2007 12:18PM
Having visited Chester Zoo myself earlier in the year, I noticed that in their literature they state that commercial photographers are required to pay a fee and seek permission before taking photos.

If a member of staff sees you with a tripod or monopod there's a goodly chance they will assume your a pro photographer working for commercial gain so you may have a bit of trouble.

Hope this helps

Aidan
7 Oct 2007 6:23PM
I have used both my tripod and monopod at Chester zoo many times with no problems.

John
stevekhart e2
8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2007 9:41AM
Just out of interest how does leaving the VR on ruin the pictures?
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
14 Oct 2007 6:25PM
Tried with and without the monopod...with and without the VR....
..... but sadly those terrific shots still eluded me.

thanks again though.....Mike
16 Oct 2007 11:18AM
so what shot DID you get??? and what were you trying for??
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2007 8:57PM
Sorry Martin...just got back from 2 weeks in Kos and just seen your post.
I was after shots like "Kban" gets and "Maiwand" gets....why should they have all the best pictures..
...It's not fair....LOL

....Mike
2 Nov 2007 9:03PM
Try a tripod with a 322 head, used this many times there without probs.

Smithy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.