Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Using Cokin flilters with a DSLR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IOWAndy
    IOWAndy  5 United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:14 PM

Not being a creative whizz with Photoshop - is it feasible to use a cokin filter with a DSLR to get results or is it better to learn how to tweak in photoshop?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:17 PM

Hard to say without you telling us which result or effect you're after.

If you're talking about using nd or nd grad filters, for instance, many people will tell you to go ahead and use them. But with special effects some might lean towards using Photoshop, so I suppose it would depend.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:18 PM

As a general rule its better to use a filter in taking the shot than trying to get the effect in Photoshop. A polariser, for example, would give you wonderful saturated blue skies, and also reduce reflections, and a neutral density filter would help you retain bright sky detail.

IOWAndy
    IOWAndy  5 United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:24 PM

Quote: Hard to say without you telling us which result or effect you're after.

If you're talking about using nd or nd grad filters, for instance, many people will tell you to go ahead and use them. But with special effects some might lean towards using Photoshop, so I suppose it would depend.

Not sure! We have some pretty marvelous coast line on the Isle of Wight and my normal set up is a Nikon D50 with with the standard 18 - 80mm or 300mm telephoto both fitted with a standard UV filter. I'd like to try to enhance the sunsets which can be pretty spectacular so thinking about bringing up the reds??? I've played with filters on my old D65 film but don;t really know enough about filters to know what I'm doing

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:31 PM

Like the old tobacco grads? Do it in photoshop. No sense ruining a perfectly good sky without a backup Wink
    Seriously though, I use RAW adjustments for colour control, but use filters wherever possible for exposure control. If it takes less time to put the filter on the camera, do it that way.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 20 Apr 2009 - 3:32 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2009 - 3:51 PM

Quote: so thinking about bringing up the reds???

Photoshop, Or other image Software.....Smile

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6521 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2009 - 11:25 PM

Exposure control with filters every time if only for the satisfaction of doing it yourself at the time of shooting.

gary

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2009 - 11:38 PM

I use both depending on the image, conditions. I normally start with filters (ND grads) but if you are getting too much flare, I often remove all filters, clean the glass thoroughly, then take several exposures for land and sky then blend later. You could also HDR, again I'm not against, the end image is what counts.

johnjrp
    johnjrp e2 Member 10430 forum postsjohnjrp vcard Australia5 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Apr 2009 - 5:00 AM

Quote: I use both depending on the image, conditions. I normally start with filters (ND grads) but if you are getting too much flare, I often remove all filters, clean the glass thoroughly, then take several exposures for land and sky then blend later. You could also HDR, again I'm not against, the end image is what counts.

I agree with all of this. I only use filters such a ND to be able to give me a slower speed for water texture effect. I do agree that the effect of a polarizer filter can't really be replicated in PS.

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.