Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Using Cokin flilters with a DSLR

IOWAndy e2
5 19 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2009 3:14PM
Not being a creative whizz with Photoshop - is it feasible to use a cokin filter with a DSLR to get results or is it better to learn how to tweak in photoshop?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
20 Apr 2009 3:17PM
Hard to say without you telling us which result or effect you're after.

If you're talking about using nd or nd grad filters, for instance, many people will tell you to go ahead and use them. But with special effects some might lean towards using Photoshop, so I suppose it would depend.
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2009 3:18PM
As a general rule its better to use a filter in taking the shot than trying to get the effect in Photoshop. A polariser, for example, would give you wonderful saturated blue skies, and also reduce reflections, and a neutral density filter would help you retain bright sky detail.
IOWAndy e2
5 19 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2009 3:24PM

Quote:Hard to say without you telling us which result or effect you're after.

If you're talking about using nd or nd grad filters, for instance, many people will tell you to go ahead and use them. But with special effects some might lean towards using Photoshop, so I suppose it would depend.

Not sure! We have some pretty marvelous coast line on the Isle of Wight and my normal set up is a Nikon D50 with with the standard 18 - 80mm or 300mm telephoto both fitted with a standard UV filter. I'd like to try to enhance the sunsets which can be pretty spectacular so thinking about bringing up the reds??? I've played with filters on my old D65 film but don;t really know enough about filters to know what I'm doing
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2009 3:31PM
Like the old tobacco grads? Do it in photoshop. No sense ruining a perfectly good sky without a backup Wink
Seriously though, I use RAW adjustments for colour control, but use filters wherever possible for exposure control. If it takes less time to put the filter on the camera, do it that way.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 Apr 2009 3:51PM

Quote:so thinking about bringing up the reds???

Photoshop, Or other image Software.....Smile
gary_d e2
7 576 13 Wales
20 Apr 2009 11:25PM
Exposure control with filters every time if only for the satisfaction of doing it yourself at the time of shooting.

gary
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
20 Apr 2009 11:38PM
I use both depending on the image, conditions. I normally start with filters (ND grads) but if you are getting too much flare, I often remove all filters, clean the glass thoroughly, then take several exposures for land and sky then blend later. You could also HDR, again I'm not against, the end image is what counts.
johnjrp e2
10 431 5 Australia
21 Apr 2009 5:00AM

Quote:I use both depending on the image, conditions. I normally start with filters (ND grads) but if you are getting too much flare, I often remove all filters, clean the glass thoroughly, then take several exposures for land and sky then blend later. You could also HDR, again I'm not against, the end image is what counts.

I agree with all of this. I only use filters such a ND to be able to give me a slower speed for water texture effect. I do agree that the effect of a polarizer filter can't really be replicated in PS.

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.