Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Using DSLR video as very high speed motor drive

Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 10:45AM
Not sure if anyone else has touched on this in the Forums (as I don't have a 5dmk2 I've not really been looking at those threads).

However, yesterday I went to Yervant's seminar in Dublin (well it was free and at the Guinness brewery!). One technique he has started using is to use a 5Dii in video mode to shoot his clients, particularly when shooting his trademark street type shots.

He then opens the files in CS3 or CS4 extended and then opens the animation window and can scroll through all frames and select the exact frame he wants (e.g the exact point that they are looking at each other etc.) and use ctrl+A, ctrl+c etc to copy and paste the frame as separate image to work in the normal way.

Whilst the image isn't as high res as a full frame still camera it is certainly adequate for many of the filler shots in his wedding albums and he did demonstrate a small album shot completely in this manner.

He also claims that as the mechanical shutter is not opening and closing these images are sharper.

In his view the digital/still world is integrating quickly and everyone will need to keep up.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
30 Sep 2009 10:52AM
I was thinking of doing this.
But as I was told the res isn't great doing this, so I didn't give it a try.
riggwelter 7 165 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 12:17PM
Watch this RED space.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Sep 2009 12:47PM

Quote:Whilst the image isn't as high res as a full frame still camera

Actually at 2Mp it isn't as high as the cheapest compact you can buy - or even many camera phones these days! Wink

I will give a try sometime, though, on my 5D II.

Quote:Watch this RED space.

I really wouldn't bother - it's a history of broken promises!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.