Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Using Neat Image noise removal software - advice needed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63768 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2011 - 5:56 PM

Ok so I've got this software package and I've gotten some impressive results with it, but thus far only from my very light tinkering with sliders and not really with any understanding of what I am doing nor the direct effect of what I'm changing is having save what I can get from the preview box.
    So I'm out to learn some more about using this software to a better standard than I currently am. For reference my current workflow is outlined below:

1) Open image in Photoshop Elements - process from RAW and then open up in the editor itself.

2) Open the Neat Image plugin interface

3) Use the Device Noise Profile for the 400D for the selected ISO value (profile downloaded of the Neat Image website). Working in colourspace YCrCb (I have no idea what this means)

4) Select an area of the photo for the Rough Noise Analyser - making sure that no warning factors are displayed and that the bar itself has as little/no coloured flecks in it (ie the selection window is clean)

5) Use Auto Fine tune and Auto complete

6) Move to the Noise Filter Settings tab

7) Use Filter and Sharpen Image *

8) Review the preview image and adjust the sharpening sliders experimentally to try and get a pleasing result - again this is another area where I'm operating blind as to what I am doing; I can only see the result.

9) Click apply and the editing is done.

As you can see there are a lot of stages where I am either totally reliant on the auto settings in the software or simply reliant on a level of blind luck as I adjust the settings to get a decent appearance. If anyone has any pointers I'd greatly like to have your input in this matter.

* I am aware that I should strictly speaking use filtering only on the first pass and then run the software again as a final process for sharpening only (and use layermasks in the main area of elements to mask the effect of sharpening off from areas that do not need it).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jan 2011 - 5:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Warriner
    23 Jan 2011 - 12:17 AM

Try here

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4611 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom63 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2011 - 11:34 AM

Mmmmm, seems a very long winded route to noise reduction ?

I use PSE 8, & to eliminate 'noise' I just go to Filter > Noise > Reduce Noise, & play with the
    three adjustments to my satisfaction, & click OK....quick, clean, & easy ?

Hope this helps

Regards...Nn.

Overread
    24 Jan 2011 - 12:07 AM

Alan - thanks for the reminder to check out the main site for Neat Image - I'll have to give those tutorials another reading through Smile

Nn - the writeup I did sounds complicated and slow, but its really quite fast once you get the hang of it. A little like how RAW sounds really complicated to process until you get right in there and try - and a little like RAW I like Neat Image because it offers me more fine control over the noise filtration itself. I've also found that it does a better job of doing both noise removal and sharpening when done on a shot globally (it without using layermasks to limit the effects to select areas) than most other general editing options so its good for a fast bit of processing for the web.

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4611 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom63 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2011 - 12:31 PM

Alex,
    I'll have a look at 'Neat Image' & see how it compares with APSE8....might be an interesting comparison ?

I'm all for gaining a bit of knowledge, & hopefully extending my PSE skills.

Cheers....Nn.

Overread
    24 Jan 2011 - 10:50 PM

Certainly - though I suspect that Neat Image might only come into its own when dealing with more heavily noisy shots over lighter noise levels or if one wishes to tweak things a little more than the APSE8 noise control allows. I've certainly had good results (elements 6 in my case) with mine, though I just prefer the overall interface and options that neat image affords.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2011 - 11:18 PM

one thing I've fallen foul of with noise reducers is the "unintentional painterly effect" - when you over-reduce, things can lose all sharpness and become really dreamy

its nice sometimes though

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.