Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Using trademarked items in a marketing campaign

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2009 - 9:44 AM

Not sure if any of you can help, the company I work for want to use an image of a tree air freshener with changed words and designs on it.
    The tree and name magic tree are trademarked, does this mean that even though we are promoting a non competing product that we could be in infringement of a trademark?

I don't expect full legal comments from anyone just wondered if you have any experience?
    Jon

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jun 2009 - 9:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Crystalite
    3 Jun 2009 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

Magic Tree could have you on breach of copyright or passing off.
    Because the design of the tree/logo is their copyright, by reproducing it in photographic form you are in breach of it.
    I've had similar things with Monopoly boards and bank notes (you're supposed to get permission of Bank of England).
    To be on the safe side, give Magic Tree a call and explain what you're doing. Most companies I've called for things like this have been fine with it, as long as the finished work doesn't show their product in a bad way.

Hope this helps.

Krakman
    Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
    3 Jun 2009 - 11:06 AM

Quote: To be on the safe side, give Magic Tree a call and explain what you're doing. Most companies I've called for things like this have been fine with it

The company might agree, but you also have to ask the designer of the logo, as they'll be the one who owns copyright in the design itself. Most likely they will want a fee to licence use of the design and might insist on doing the design modification themselves (for another fee).

Crystalite
    3 Jun 2009 - 5:56 PM

It's far more than likely Magic Tree have already bought the copyright from whoever designed it or used an in-house designer.
    Big companies rarely leave copyright on designs in the ownership of an external source.

redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 6:30 PM

All good advice, thanks
    Jon

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.