Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

V. Chuffed 1st Magazine sale for my event photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sheilarose
9 Aug 2007 - 10:42 AM

I have managed my first sale of two event images to a magazine publication - a stroke of luck really as the chairman of the association who print the mag happened to be at the event and we exchanged cards. Really chuffed as this was a horse trotting event which I had never photographed before and really was'nt too sure if I was getting it right or not.......(portraits are more my game Smile)......I have been doing quite a few local events recently and its paid off via print sales to parents/individuals/newspaper.....but magazine publication is a first in this area for me.............sorry to waffle on, but very excited and had no one else around to share with....think i bored the cats in two seconds flat :-(
x Sheila

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Aug 2007 - 10:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chase
chase Critique Team 91118 forum postschase vcard England242 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2007 - 10:44 AM

Well done Sheila..right place, right time...result! Good stuff.
Janet

Take-a-View
9 Aug 2007 - 10:46 AM

Well done. Why not post it on the site.

Ian

sheilarose
9 Aug 2007 - 10:50 AM

thanks Janet & Ian
I have actually posted two images of the event in my PF - these were not the ones they picked for publication........the images I really liked were focusing on the horses - the mag seemed to be more focused on the riders......
x Sheila

snapperpaul
9 Aug 2007 - 11:48 AM

I had a look in your PF and your gallery and couldn't see any Sad

did the magazine pay, or where they like most equine mags wanting them FOC. I was contacted by local rider magazine wanting to use my images, even before I could say my rates they made it clear they would want them FOC, but offered a credit - which just happens to be a legal requirement for a copyrighted image. Whereas H&H just send out the cheques if your details are on the pic.
EagleMoss Publishing advise you of the rates they will pay (which are close to industry standards) but then expect you to invoice, which is a pain

Stockczech
9 Aug 2007 - 11:50 AM

Quote: the mag seemed to be more focused on the riders......

People buy magazines, horses don't Smile

Seriously, congrats on the sale. Many hobby magazines generally prefer pics that show people - that's what sells. You will often find that the 'good' images are ignored and the ones you nearly discarded are printed. But as long as you send them pictures that are accurately captioned, and include the riders you will, I'm sure, make many more sales.

Sheila

sheilarose
9 Aug 2007 - 11:59 AM

Thanks guys - the ones I have posted are on the first page of my gallery Paul (these are not the ones which have sold) would do a link but I'm useless at it Smile
sheila

snapperpaul
9 Aug 2007 - 12:19 PM

Ah - the harness racing - V nice - really like the first with them all of the ground, great capture.

Where were they captured

sheilarose
9 Aug 2007 - 12:31 PM

It was a local event Paul, in the Amman Valley (Carmarthenshire) -
x Sheila

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2007 - 12:57 PM

congrats

peter shilton
9 Aug 2007 - 1:46 PM

Congratulations, nice to see your work appreciated.

Are you going to invest the 3 or blow it?

Smile

sheilarose
9 Aug 2007 - 2:00 PM

maybe a large 99 as the sun is shining Smile

clickdog
clickdog  784 forum posts
10 Aug 2007 - 10:58 AM

When I was offed an ad for payment of photos I was told they had no budget for photos, so I asked how much the ad was worth(75.00) and then counted how many ads of that size were in the magazine,plus all the other ads, BTW try putting an ad in and tell them you have no budget for advertising! quite instructive.
Do any of you let the low and no paying mags use your images and does it work for you, I make more money by answering the phone and emails than prepping and sending photos to magazines of that sort.

clickdog
clickdog  784 forum posts
10 Aug 2007 - 11:00 AM

Sorry, yes the pics on your gallery were very good.It is a real boost to get published so soon.

snapperpaul
10 Aug 2007 - 3:23 PM

Click dog - NO - as soon as they say they have no budget - then it's goodbye, although I did once trade a pic for a 6 month ad in the services directory section of the magazine

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.