Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Variations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    digiphoto
    digiphoto  1240 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 7:59 PM

Are there any guide line on the use of "variations" when uploading images ?
    I always assumed it meant you could upload a variation of an image; for example
    a colour and mono version;a before and after version. etc but all variations of a single image.
    I have noticed that some members are using it to upload many different images on a theme; some I have seen as many as 14.
    This to my mind an abuse of the system and a blatent attempt to avoid the "one per day" rule for uploads.
    Am I being pedantic or just a grumpy old man.
    It would be interesting to get the views of other members and administrators. Tony

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Oct 2010 - 7:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84245 forum postsKarenFB vcard England161 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 8:04 PM

Yes, there are guide lines (though they seem to be up for interpretation with some folks uploads!)

Quote: Before & After - This type is intended for photos with a before and after version and any developments in between. A before photo is one that's straight out of the camera with no external processing. If you want to show HDR please upload at least one original exposure so we can see what the conditions were like.
    Tutorials - This section can be used for a series of photos that describe or teach a technique or process of taking or modifying a photo.
    Reportgage/Documentary - Use this for a series of shots that are related (ie: Photo Journalism or images that are used in a montage)
    Variants - Trying out new lighting, editing techniques? Select this type. Use this as a sounding board (ie - three different compositions/crops and ask which is preferred.)

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 95957 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 8:19 PM

Yep - I can admit to be guilty of using 'Variants' when I should use Reportage/Documentary - I shall try to do better in future!

MikeH
    MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 8:59 PM

Yes Tony I have reported several times about this.
    What really gets me is where members put up a long series of images which do not fit the criteria in any of the four categories but are in many cases an excuse to give a slide show.
    When upload is restricted to one per day, I think this misuse should be more closely monitored.
    However in the whole scheme of things it is obviously way down the list,
    Mike

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 9:22 PM

I have noticed a few uploads that have been taking liberties with the variations feature.

Have not thought to create a report though, As I assumed the system or the team would pick up on it, Sooner or later.

Quote: I think this misuse should be more closely monitored

Totally agree, The trouble is going to policing it, Or changing the rules to something more draconian, Which would be a shame for those who use the feature the way it was intended to be used.

Whatever, It does need addressing.

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 9:53 PM

Quote: Have not thought to create a report though, As I assumed the system or the team would pick up on it, Sooner or later.

Unfortunately the majority of the site needs 'manual' moderation and that relies on members reporting instances of misuse/breaking t&cs etc. If we dont know about it we cant do anything about it.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 10:42 PM

Quote: This to my mind an abuse of the system and a blatent attempt to avoid the "one per day" rule for uploads.
    Am I being pedantic or just a grumpy old man.

The one a day upload is only in place to ensure the gallery is not flooded with pics and each main pic has a good opportunity of being seen and commented/voted on. The variations do not get in the way of this so we don't worry about it to be honest. You do get to know who's using the options for useful technique/variations/before and after and can choose to ignore those who just use it as a batch upload.

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 11:26 PM

Quote: choose to ignore those who just use it as a batch upload.

Wouldn't it be better to report people abusing the system rather than just ignoring it? Why let those few that abuse the privilege of multiple uploads lessen the value of a potentially useful resource?

Last Modified By Boyd at 31 Oct 2010 - 11:26 PM
    Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2010 - 11:48 PM

I think the problem is that the definitions are quite open so any heavy policing would have to come with a redefining of the rules otherwise there is so much grey that any contest would end up a battle between mods and members.

As for abuse I think Pete's answer sums up most of it - its mostly not going to to effect the 1 per day rule because the variants don't take up any more room in the galleries

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 95957 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2010 - 8:30 AM

I tend to do multiple uploads if the images are unlikely to be shown separately - as in my oil on water one where I'd almost certainly not upload half a dozen shots of a very similar subject on consecutive days but as a set they might be interesting.

That said, I should have used the reportage option as although they're variations on a theme they're not true variants.

I beg forgiveness Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.