Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Vertical and Horizontal Pano Stitching?

Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 10:16AM
Hi all

I have been using PS CS 5.1 for a while now, and along with my old CS2 am used to, and enjoy doing panorama stitching. I use the 'photomerge' function, and 9 times out of 10 it works a treat!

However, I am thinking about doing some larger panoramas. I would like to know if PS is able to stitch together panos that have vertical and horizontal images - ie 8 wide by 3 high for example?

Been on Google but cant find a definitive answer. Can any one here help please?

Thanks in advance

Nige

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Mar 2013 1:06PM
Can't see why not. Some of the lens distortion might throw up a few probs depending on focal length......but you could always snap a few quick jpgs and see what happens.
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 2:02PM
Just done some more Googling and discovered a freeware program called Hugin - may give that a whirl as well.
7 Mar 2013 2:31PM
Microsoft ICE is a free download which stitches panoramics perfectly. I've never had any problem stitching larger panos in any software. This Pano is 108 frames at 12 mpx (HDR as well as Pano)
7 Mar 2013 6:07PM
I had the same problem and have put it down to lens distortion.

Do you use a pano head?

I made my own pano head, found the nodal point of my lens and have had no problem since. Ive done 12+ multi level stitches with no problem.
7 Mar 2013 6:15PM
I've been known to use an old flash bracket as a pano head. I've only encountered alignment problems when photographing small spaces, like taking a 360 pano of a room in the house. Or shooting a pano at the beach, when waves don't line up. A bit of Cloning or Patch Tool helps that. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.