Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

very happy, but not sure...

clicknimagine 5 221 88
14 Aug 2010 6:33AM
today i have received this mail,

Congratulations! I am writing you to inform you that your photo is the Second Prize winner in the Generations United 2010 Photo Contest! There were more than 400 entries to the contest but your photo stood out as exhibiting both the characteristics of a great photo and illuminating the beauty of intergenerational connections.

As you are an international entrant and we are located in the United States, it will be best for us to send the photo contest prize of $100 U.S. via PayPal. Could you please send me your Paypal information, as well as email me the original copy of your photo?

Here is the link ,

but the 2nd prize money was $150, but i am getting $100Sad...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Aug 2010 8:08AM
First question - did you enter the competition?

Second question - what did the competition T's & C's say about international payments to winners?
clicknimagine 5 221 88
14 Aug 2010 8:12AM
First Answer- yes

Second Answer- when i had entered i remember the second prize money was $150, but it is not showing now, instead it is showing $100...
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Aug 2010 8:16AM
I would start by asking for clarification as to why the change of prize-money Rahul.

Another question - were you asked for an email address when entering the competition? If so - they already have the answer to make a PayPal payment (Wink) - in which case I would tread warily.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2010 8:19AM
I agree with Mike, something here feels wrong. As for sending your paypal information, legitimate payments can be made with your paypal-linked email address. Ask them to send the payment request, and then (here's the important part) access paypal directly, NOT FROM THE LINK IN THE EMAIL. If you get a Paypal payment request in your email, but it's not on their site, it's a scam. And if you "log in" directly from an email, you can give them access to your bank account.
clicknimagine 5 221 88
14 Aug 2010 8:21AM
i was not sure about PayPal payment at the time of entering, but now i came to know about the payment system, i do not have PayPal account yet, but today i have to open it first and then i may need some help from you,

ok whatever, may be the prize money, i really do not want to make argument with them about the prize moneyWink...
cambirder 10 7.2k England
14 Aug 2010 8:31AM

Quote:were you asked for an email address when entering the competition? If so - they already have the answer to make a PayPal payment

Why would they? lots of people have more than one email address and it would be a stupid assumption that there is a PP account associated with the one they have been given.
clicknimagine 5 221 88
14 Aug 2010 8:36AM
yes they have asked for email address like below:-

Hello,
Congratulations! Your photo of interlocking hands has been selected as a finalist in the Generations United 2010 Photo Contest, "Stronger Together."

In order to move to the next stage of judging, we need to confirm your name, address and ownership of the photo.

Please e-mail me

First and Last Name
E-mail address
Mailing Address
Statement asserting that you are an amateur photographer who took this photo and owns the rights to it.

i had provided all the details...
Warriorpoet 6 213 3 England
14 Aug 2010 9:05AM
Having googled this and found the "flyer" it shows the second price as $100 dollars although I also note the "flyer" was amended on 2 June. Not sure about the legitimacy of lowering prize money after the competition has started. I think you should be safe if you follow Discreetphoton's excellent advice. It is a good idea to have a different email address just for Paypal, many people do hence as Cambirder says their need to ask for it.
Opening a Paypal account is fairly simple although there is a fairly tortuous verification process involved (can't remember if that is neccessary just to receive and withdraw money). If you know someone with an existing account it might be worth using their's for the payment, although Paypal is quite useful as a means for paying for stuff online.

Dave
clicknimagine 5 221 88
14 Aug 2010 9:45AM
ok, i am trying to open an account,

i do not want to en-cash the prize money, when i will get it, instead i want to spend it purchasing some items from ebay or to spend the money otherwise,

but what kind of paypal account i have to open or is there only one kind of account in paypal, i can open? or what is business account in paypal? get confused...
clicknimagine 5 221 88
14 Aug 2010 4:19PM
i have now opened a personal PayPal account, and sent the paypal mail id, let see what happen,

Thanks to all of you friends for your helpful suggestions...
looboss 8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2010 10:43AM
I have a totally separate email address for pay pal along with an independent bank account, if scammers get to my bank account they take nothing! it takes me a few seconds more to transfer funds for when I need to pay for something with pay pal, rest of the time it remains open with a tiny amount of cash in the account.
clicknimagine 5 221 88
15 Aug 2010 10:45AM
ya i have tried this process too...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.