Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

very new to photography... need advice!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KIWIGIRL78
9 Aug 2011 - 8:11 PM

Hi everyone, basically i went on holiday to Italy last week and really got into photography for the first time. I have a camera but its **** so i took pretty much all my pics on my camera ph. if anyone has any helpful tips to get me started i.e make/ model of camera, courses i should be looking into etcI would be very grateful for any help given Smile cheers kat

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Aug 2011 - 8:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2011 - 8:36 PM

What are you looking for dslr or compact?

KIWIGIRL78
9 Aug 2011 - 8:43 PM

i will be completely honest with you and say i have no idea what your on about! lol if you could explain the two i would really appreciate it Smile

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2011 - 8:57 PM

Google!!

thermosoflask

Welcome to the site Kat, i suggest checking out your local college's and see if there's any evening class'es, or contacting a local camera club, to give you a answer on this forum would take forever, you really need to think more about the sort of photo's you want to take, Photography is quite a expensive hobby, but also very rewarding, if you live near portsmouth be happy to meet up and let you have a play wiith some of my camera's, Good luck , John.

CathyT
9 Aug 2011 - 9:00 PM

You wanna watch him Kat.......Wink

KIWIGIRL78
9 Aug 2011 - 9:06 PM

John - I wish I knew what pictures I wanted to take but as I have only just started im still trying to find my feet and its all a bit new but im sure i'll figure it out sadly I live no where near portsmouth but thank you for the offer. Cathy, im off to google till my little hearts content!

CathyT
9 Aug 2011 - 9:08 PM

I think you need to have a clearer idea what you need and want and then ask again......you don't want to buy expensive kit that you may not need.

thermosoflask

Kat, buy a cheapie camera and find a local college course that will teach you the basic's, Cathy is right you need to have a better understanding, then we can be more precise in our answers to you.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2011 - 9:40 PM

Colleges will really not teach you to much...basically a general understanding.
I would agree with Cathy and keep the hard earned in the pocket until you have a general direction of what you want to achieve....Time and experience will be the biggest factor in making your choices in equipment.
Have a gander round this place tho and PM people whose photography inspires you...im sure many will share thier journey with youSmile

crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6697 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2011 - 9:41 PM

Assuming that you have a fairly limited budget at the moment I would suggest that initially you get the best compact camera you can afford - make sure to check reviews for a few makes/models before you buy so you have a feel for what they can offer you in terms of features. There are lots of tutorials on EPZ and the internet in general, so have a look at some of those while you wait for college courses to start. Get out and start taking photographs, you will soon find what interests you most. Above all, enjoy your new hobby!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2011 - 9:54 PM

I agree about getting a decent compact camera - which means a camera with a fixed but zoomable lens.

A couple you might want to consider are the Canon S95 and the Panasonic TZ20. The Canon will give a bit better quality and the Panasonic will give a greater zoom range.

CathyT
9 Aug 2011 - 9:54 PM

Lets play devils advocate........what is your budget?

KIWIGIRL78
9 Aug 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thank you all for your guidance, at the moment I am on a limited budget but that will be changing soon, I just want to make sure that I make the right choice in camera as I can be quite fickle and change my mind at the drop of a hat. I will be looking into all the suggestions given to me.

CathyT
9 Aug 2011 - 10:03 PM

Was it you who won the Euro Millions jackpot????....and as for fickle...its a girl thing.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.