Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vey vey dwunk indeed ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 6:24 PM

no matter how i read this.. i still come to the same conclusion. EVERYONE is built differently with different points of view,emotions,fears etc etc. IMO if an elephant was stuck in the mud etc i would NOT intervene. Nature has her own rules and people,animals amaobas etc have a life expectancy true to mother natures balance. What if by saving one elephant it became a rogue and killed humans? Ergo it would get shot. KNOWING sometime in its life YOU helped it out of said mud..... would u live with that guilt? its all independant. Saving a wilderbeast from a lion?!?! you starve the lion by helping the wilderbeast no? it has to eat. it doesnt have pre made/tinned/cooked food. THIS is what i teach my children.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Oct 2009 - 6:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 6:31 PM

I well remember those photo journalsim shots of a Vietnamese naked child running down a roadway in floods of tears in what was very obviously a war zone. Only later did I discover that the shot had been set up (no doubt reflecting a true event but nevertheless the image had been created by the photographer) this is another sort of inervention maybe more proactive than the elephant example but still intervention, or is it just composition?

Certainly take the point about getting involved in nature because of the knock on effect but there is also the business of living with ones own conscience maybe?

Last Modified By ketch at 28 Oct 2009 - 6:33 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2009 - 6:36 PM

The only shot I recall like that was in Vietnam and showed a naked child running away from a napalm attack.

That was definitely not set up - see Here

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 9:45 PM

Yep thats the very same one - now I thought this was run through a few times before the image was caught (I also thought there was something else strange about the crop). Clearly you need to see some sort of link so will check out (please note though I am not saying this didn't happen just that it was set up or composed - anyway will get back if I can find any supporting information).

Cheers

ketch
28 Oct 2009 - 9:58 PM

Nope I am talkiing rubbish (nothing new there then) but I do think there were some versions that airbrushed the troops out possibly?that maybe what I remember.

Cheers

jimthistle73
29 Oct 2009 - 12:42 AM

vey, vey dwunk indeed

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Oct 2009 - 9:46 AM

Quote: Nope I am talkiing rubbish (nothing new there then) but I do think there were some versions that airbrushed the troops out possibly?that maybe what I remember.

Cheers

I think maybe the one you are thinking about is Iwo Jima, the iconic shot of the soldiers struggling to put up the stars and stripes at the top of the hill. A pic was taken during combat but the photographer thought he could improve on it and reshot it under less stressful conditions. And produced one of the most memorable war pictures of all time.

Otherwise, the Spanish soldier at the moment of death - taken by Robert Capa. There has always been controversy over this. I used to rent my studio to a man called Dezo Hoffman (known for his work with the Beatles). He told me he was with Capa shooting movie when that shot was made and that it was definitely what it purports to be. He also said that Capa thought he could improve the shot and tried to reshoot later to better it (and failed) and that was why the controversy existed.

Dezo was a good man and I never had any reason to doubt his word.

Last Modified By lemmy at 29 Oct 2009 - 9:47 AM
ketch
29 Oct 2009 - 4:57 PM

Well you have just read my mind and I am sure that I was getting my iconic images in a twist.

BTW love the vey vey dwunk Larry...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.