Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

VHS-compact films converting to DVD

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maggie9
    maggie9  545 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2012 - 3:02 PM

hi,

anyone recommend a reliable company that can convert old VHS-C camcorder film onto dvd?

i'm a little nervous to send precious recorded memories Smile

thanks for any suggestions!

maggie

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Dec 2012 - 3:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lenscapuk53
    1 Dec 2012 - 4:03 PM

Hi Maggie,
    You could try Max Speilmans,
    I have noticed they do the service in my local branch.
    DaveSmile

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2012 - 5:06 PM

I recently did this for all my mother-in-law's old tapes. The way I did it was to buy a second hand VHS player/recorder for 3.00 (easily got at auctions /car boot sales / second-hand shops) and connect it to a DVD player/recorder I already had. I used a VHS-C adapter cassette (readily available on e-Bay if you don't have one) to play the tapes in the newly bought VHS player whilst recording onto DVD. You can monitor progress on your TV and finalise the discs so they play in any player or on PC.

If you don't have a DVD recorder it may be worth just trying to source a second-hand, twin-deck player/recorder that plays and records both VHS tapes and DVD's. You should be able to pick up one dead cheap and it would record straight on to DVD all within the same machine. I would imagine you could pick one up for about 10.00 at the most.

If you send it off to a 3rd party to do it they typically charge about 10 a tape so it depends how many you have to do as to whether my way is worth it.

Hope this helps.

Ewan

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9679 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2012 - 9:35 PM

A video capture device may be worth a look for the price.

They seem quite versatile and will capture video to the computers hard drive ready for editing and burning to a DVD.

I have a DVD recorder which I use but I would also have tried one of these if my computer had a bit more oomph than it has but it is not fast enough and would drop frames the last time I tried capturing video from a camcorder via a firewire cable.

It may or may not be what you are looking for but worth adding as another option.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.