Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Video software

ChrisJP e2
6 858 Wales
14 Apr 2011 6:19PM
I am, if all goes well, going to buy a Canon 60d in the next week or so. I am also updating from Elements 4 to Elements 9. I may not use the 60ds HD video much, but I would also like the software to handle the HD video. Looking at reviews I have dismissed Premiere Elements 9. What is there out there that is cheapish but good? My computer has a 3.4Ghz processor, 3Gb of DDR RAM running XP sp3. I thought of Cyberlink Powerdirector 7 deluxe but that says that it requires DDR2 RAM.
Suggestions please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Apr 2011 7:03PM
I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 for all my video editing - whether from a Canon 5D2 or a mobile phone! Wink

If this is a little too rich you can get the snappily-named (!) Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 which is the 'Elements' equivalent.
Tandberg e2
11 1.2k 2 England
15 Apr 2011 9:44AM
I got vegas movie studio platinmum 9 after chatting with the guys above for editing 5D 2 movies
Works fine and its simple enough, does what it says on the box without the bells and whistles
ChrisJP e2
6 858 Wales
15 Apr 2011 5:36PM
May try Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum as it appears to be only 24.99 at Amazon at the moment.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2011 9:30PM
The low price is at amazon, but its from another company. However its supposed to be using the amazon warehouse and delivery system, so perhaps they're really there.
"Amazon directly does the picking, packing, shipping and customer service", might give it a go myself at that price
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
15 Apr 2011 9:43PM
Sony Vegas Movie Studio is really good for the money. It has a load of features and perfectly ample for most users.
argie e2
3 7 France
16 Apr 2011 6:28AM
Hi,
I use Power Director 9 and it is a great program for ease of use at my amateur level (occasional user). I believe the top video editing packages all have their strong points which makes choosing on functionality a daunting task.

However, I know that some of these programs (PD9 included) are huge consumers of CPU and memory. I have heard many stories of people having nightmares and losing hours of work with reputable software simply because the CPU can't keep up or RAM is lacking.

I'm not sure if 3GB is enough for some of these programs especially if you're editing full HD video. So if you don't fancy upgrading, you might be better off choosing the package that is the least CPU-RAM hungry and has a reputation for stability.

Good luck
Richard
ChrisJP e2
6 858 Wales
16 Apr 2011 9:25AM
This is what it shows for System requirements

Microsoft Windows XP Windows Vista or Windows 7
800 MHz processor (2.8 GHz if using HDV or AVCHD)
200 MB hard-disk space for program installation
256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended for HDV and AVCHD)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
OHCI-compatible i.LINK connector1/IEEE-1394DV card (for DV capture and print-to-tape)
Windows-compatible sound card
DVD-ROM drive for installation from a DVD
Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or later
Supported CD-Recordable drive (for CD burning only)
Supported DVD- R /- RW /+ R /+ RW drive (for DVD burning only)
Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc burning)
argie e2
3 7 France
16 Apr 2011 1:03PM
Totally agree. Good idea to test the software first on your setup.

Is the spec you mentioned for version 7 of Power Director ?

For the current version (9), mimimum RAM is 512 mb. That will allow you to start up the software. The recommended configuration for Power Director 9 is 3gb for a 32-bit OS and 6gb for a 64-bit OS. I have 6GB on a dual-core 64-bit system and it is ok. Not fast. Just ok. My video card is possibly a weak link (ATI Radeon HD5450).

I checked out a few reviews on video editing software before making my choice and several mentioned the problem of minimum spec for Full HD editing. This was about 1.5 years ago but I remember reading that some packages run better than others and have less demands on the hw. I'll try to lay my hands on those reviews again and post a link if I find them.

Regards,
Richard
ChrisJP e2
6 858 Wales
16 Apr 2011 5:15PM
Sorry, that spec is for Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.