Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

View of Earth from the Space Station

collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 7:50AM
Came across the following link showing video stream of earth from the Space Station. Watch out for the Thunderstorms at about 2" 55' in.

Earth as you have never seen it

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
16 Nov 2011 8:00AM
Some brilliant photography, but I would have liked it to move a little slower - it would have been more interesting if I had time to work out where in the world I was looking! As you say, the thunderstorms are amazing!
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
16 Nov 2011 8:10AM
didn't they have anything better to do? WinkWinkGrinGrin

thanks for the link Smile
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
16 Nov 2011 8:44AM
Thanks for the link - I really enjoyed it.

Edit: I've just watched this again and wondered if anyone knows what the long ribbon of orange light is - you see it around 3'47". It must be 100's miles long. It seems too big even to be a lit, 10 lane motorway but I can't think what else it could be.

PS: watch this in full screen -it is fabulous.
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 9:27AM

Quote:didn't they have anything better to do? WinkWinkGrinGrin

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Yes Karen it does move a bit to quick - am trying to workout how I can get that down to my 42" HD TV -
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 9:44AM
Fascinating. Thanks for the link.

Quote:Edit: I've just watched this again and wondered if anyone knows what the long ribbon of orange light is - you see it around 3'47". It must be 100's miles long. It seems too big even to be a lit, 10 lane motorway but I can't think what else it could be.

The great wall of China? I know part of it is illuminated but I am not sure it gos as far as the section on the video. This map has the same sort of topology, including the hook bit on the right.
16 Nov 2011 9:54AM

Quote:The great wall of China? I know part of it is illuminated but I am not sure it gos as far as the section on the video. This map has the same sort of topology, including the hook bit on the right.

I didn't even realise any of it was illuminated - I'll look at the video again. Thanks for the info'.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 1:01PM
It seems I was wrong - it is the India/Pakistan border.

http://www.desiproject.com/showthread.php?p=33478942

Sections of the Great Wall are illuminated but I was not suer so much of it would be illuminate to leave that sort of signature on a satellite image.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 1:24PM
It's a myth that you can see the Great Wall of China from space. It's long but I think my front drive is wider and that's why it can't be seen.
JimL e2
7 101 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 3:39PM
Stunning. thanks for posting.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
16 Nov 2011 3:59PM

Quote:It seems I was wrong - it is the India/Pakistan border.

http://www.desiproject.com/showthread.php?p=33478942

Sections of the Great Wall are illuminated but I was not suer so much of it would be illuminate to leave that sort of signature on a satellite image.

What a massive waste of energy. How many pollution emitting power stations are required to run all those lights?
16 Nov 2011 4:33PM
Thanks for posting that link adrian_w. All that energy wasted just because neighbours don't trust each other.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
16 Nov 2011 4:48PM
Wasnee me, I just quoted Mikes post. The man's full of useful information, especially the map of the Great Wall. Wish I had seen that before we went there earlier this year.
16 Nov 2011 5:16PM
Oooops! Sorry mikehit - its you I should say thanks to.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
16 Nov 2011 5:45PM

Quote:All that energy wasted just because neighbours don't trust each other.

Good fences make good neighbours

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.