Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

View of Earth from the Space Station

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
collywobles
16 Nov 2011 - 7:50 AM

Came across the following link showing video stream of earth from the Space Station. Watch out for the Thunderstorms at about 2" 55' in.



Earth as you have never seen it

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 16 Nov 2011 - 8:51 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Nov 2011 - 7:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 8:00 AM

Some brilliant photography, but I would have liked it to move a little slower - it would have been more interesting if I had time to work out where in the world I was looking! As you say, the thunderstorms are amazing!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104014 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 8:10 AM

didn't they have anything better to do? WinkWinkGrinGrin

thanks for the link Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 8:44 AM

Thanks for the link - I really enjoyed it.

Edit: I've just watched this again and wondered if anyone knows what the long ribbon of orange light is - you see it around 3'47". It must be 100's miles long. It seems too big even to be a lit, 10 lane motorway but I can't think what else it could be.

PS: watch this in full screen -it is fabulous.

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 16 Nov 2011 - 8:57 AM
collywobles
16 Nov 2011 - 9:27 AM


Quote: didn't they have anything better to do? WinkWinkGrinGrin

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin


Yes Karen it does move a bit to quick - am trying to workout how I can get that down to my 42" HD TV -

mikehit
mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 9:44 AM

Fascinating. Thanks for the link.


Quote: Edit: I've just watched this again and wondered if anyone knows what the long ribbon of orange light is - you see it around 3'47". It must be 100's miles long. It seems too big even to be a lit, 10 lane motorway but I can't think what else it could be.

The great wall of China? I know part of it is illuminated but I am not sure it gos as far as the section on the video. This map has the same sort of topology, including the hook bit on the right.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 9:54 AM


Quote: The great wall of China? I know part of it is illuminated but I am not sure it gos as far as the section on the video. This map has the same sort of topology, including the hook bit on the right.

I didn't even realise any of it was illuminated - I'll look at the video again. Thanks for the info'.

mikehit
mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 1:01 PM

It seems I was wrong - it is the India/Pakistan border.

http://www.desiproject.com/showthread.php?p=33478942

Sections of the Great Wall are illuminated but I was not suer so much of it would be illuminate to leave that sort of signature on a satellite image.

Last Modified By mikehit at 16 Nov 2011 - 1:03 PM
User_Removed
16 Nov 2011 - 1:24 PM

It's a myth that you can see the Great Wall of China from space. It's long but I think my front drive is wider and that's why it can't be seen.

JimL
JimL e2 Member 780 forum postsJimL vcard United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 - 3:39 PM

Stunning. thanks for posting.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73304 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 3:59 PM


Quote: It seems I was wrong - it is the India/Pakistan border.

http://www.desiproject.com/showthread.php?p=33478942

Sections of the Great Wall are illuminated but I was not suer so much of it would be illuminate to leave that sort of signature on a satellite image.

What a massive waste of energy. How many pollution emitting power stations are required to run all those lights?

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 4:33 PM

Thanks for posting that link adrian_w. All that energy wasted just because neighbours don't trust each other.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73304 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 4:48 PM

Wasnee me, I just quoted Mikes post. The man's full of useful information, especially the map of the Great Wall. Wish I had seen that before we went there earlier this year.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 5:16 PM

Oooops! Sorry mikehit - its you I should say thanks to.

MeanGreeny
16 Nov 2011 - 5:45 PM


Quote: All that energy wasted just because neighbours don't trust each other.

Good fences make good neighbours

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.