Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Viewfinder clarity - Dioptric adjustment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ckristoff
    ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
    8 Oct 2008 - 3:29 PM

Friends,

I have a query regarding viewfinder claritry.

I've read in my 450D handbook, which only briefly mentions dioptric adjustment - less than half a page.

I've attempted to do this today, as it's a nice sunny day. But for the life of me, I think I'm going crazy for nothing!
    At the default setting, which I have been using, the 9 focusing points don't look pin sharp. If I turn the adjustment all the way to plus, I can see the focus is blurry. Same applies for turning it all the way to minus. At the default setting it all looks better photo-wise, but the dots in the middle of the focussing squares don't appear pin-sharp.

The reason I'm asking for your advice is, because if I compare my images to other uploads, mine could be better. I'm comparing mine to members that own the 300D, 350D and 400D. I don't expect 5D or D3 quality!!

If all else fails, I'm assuming an eye test is called for, as I'm diabetic. But I had an eye test in April and the optician said I only had minor adjustments in my eye sight, so I avoided new glasses. Also I'm concerned whether my current condition of my eyes would pass a driving test.

Another piece of info I can give, is that lately I've been zooming in close with my 24-105 zoom and checking manually if my focusing is sharp or not. A bit of a pain!

The thing is, if my images aren't pin sharp, how am I going to be able to consider producing postcards?

Am I asking for too much?

Frank. Sad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Oct 2008 - 3:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ckristoff
    8 Oct 2008 - 3:42 PM

Chris,

thanks very much, I'll try with the lens cap on first.

Not quite sure what you mean about crosshair/grid? Perhaps it's on one of the menus?

Sorry for being dim!

Frank.

ckristoff
    8 Oct 2008 - 3:49 PM

Ok Chris,

I think I've got it right, using the lens cap on technique!

Thank you,

Frank.

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Oct 2008 - 4:51 PM

Adjustment of dioptre will have no effect on the sharpness of your images.... it only adjusts what you see in the view finder to suit your eyes....although it will help when you are focusing manually..
    Lens cap on is a good way to set it
    Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    ckristoff
    8 Oct 2008 - 4:58 PM

Thanks Geoff!

So, I'd better get my skates on and move up a gear. I sometimes use my tripod, perhaps I'd better use it more often!

Also I have yet to use the mirror-lock function on my camera. Would this improve things further?

Frank.

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Oct 2008 - 5:01 PM

Tripod,mirror lock up and shutter release via a remote cord are all things that work towards achieving a sharper picture Smile
    Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.