Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Viewing Photography Work of Others....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
llareggub
llareggub  4684 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 - 6:37 PM

Do you actively look at others work for ideas and inspiration? No, but inspiration happens no matter where you look
Do you look at others work out of a sense of duty? No
So you look at others work for pleasure? Yes
Has your approach/thoughts on this changed since you began photography? When and why did that happen? No
Has your enthusiasm for looking at others work changed? No

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2013 - 6:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 7:08 PM

I still get the American magazine Outdoor Photographer, e-edition, every month, and I read it from cover to cover, including the ads. I especially like the articles with accompanying pictures, the new gear section, and the reviews. Thinking about it now, I have always enjoyed viewing photos contained in a blog or article on various subjects more than just a gallery. I have never visited a real gallery. I have always tried to find my own way in photography, and I view other's work more for pleasure, or more so to see things I've never seen before than other reasons. I'm sure we're all unconsciously influenced in some way by the work of others. One thing I do, especially since I got a PVR last winter, and I can easily record programs on TV, is watch nature documentaries; I don't miss any now. I may not get around to some of the programs I've recorded for months sometimes, but eventually I watch them all. The photography in these programs, many of them IMAX documentaries, is nothing short of phenomenal. I couldn't even hope to copy the work of these masters of nature photography if I wanted to. As I've said before, it's more about the story surrounding the photos for me.

Very thought provoking thread Ade.Smile

howdog
howdog e2 Member 525 forum postshowdog vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 7:11 PM

I am new to photography so i use the site as a place of learning.
I log on most days and take notes of the shots i like, IE What sort of settings were used for a particular shot and type of lens.

I must say when i first started on this site and uploaded my own work, I was thrilled to receive votes and comments from other members whether good or bad, It gave me inspiration and the determination to better in my photography. ( I thank the site and it's users for that)

However one lesson I have learnt from this site is NOT to criticize a members work! When i say criticize, I mean, you see a shot you just don't understand so you type "i just don't get it" or "I'd rather have a hot poker put into my eye" ( okay the last one was a bit OTT) Then you find out who are the vote for voters are! And they should be ashamed of themselves!Tongue

So what have i learned? Well If i like a shot i will vote, if i really like a shot i will vote and leave a comment,not to criticize to much. Blush
Am i not looking for vote for vote, I am looking for members who like what they see, as that is what i do each time i long on.
As the man above me (Niknut) has said "it's the best site-gallery"

I will stay on as a member and show my work, who know's i may leave you a comment. Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022919 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 7:33 PM

Quote: i just don't get it

Such insightful criticism deserves a better reception.

howdog
howdog e2 Member 525 forum postshowdog vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 7:53 PM

Quote: i just don't get it

Such insightful criticism deserves a better reception.

I am not going to name the member to whom i am taking about, to give you an incite i have looked at your portfolio Keith and understood each and every shot, all 29 pages, So take my word for it what i saw " I just did not get " Wink and when the question was asked the member did not answer but the vote for vote followers did that for him.

Coventryphotog
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 - 11:37 PM

We look at a lot of photos, but not from this site alone... Comment on what we like, if we like nothing we move on - what's the point of offending people....

Don't do the click clique thng, never have and never will: in fact we actively try to avoid such issues.

By simply looking I believe we all learn, if you're not learning, you're not really looking. Whether that is at a cognisant level or not is another matter.....

MichaelMelb_AU
26 Jul 2013 - 12:16 AM

Quote:
Do you actively look at others work for ideas and inspiration?

Nope. Put some interesting stuff on my "memory shelf" only occasionally.

Quote:
Do you look at others work out of a sense of duty?
So you look at others work for pleasure?
Has your enthusiasm for looking at others work changed?

Not a duty for me - have enough duties outside photography worldSmile
Pleasure - yes, still have not lost capability to admire a great work. But that's like a box of chocolatesWink

Quote:
Has your approach/thoughts on this changed since you began photography? When and why did that happen?

I am going photography long enough for not to remember what it was like before. EPZ has it's influence though - I use it (mostly) to gauge viewer's interest to my images.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 26 Jul 2013 - 12:18 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 12:42 AM

Quote: Very thought provoking thread Ade.

that's the idea Wink

I guess the "networking" thing is all about getting your message out there, just a part of that huge beast that saps your coffers, which goes under the name marketing.

I'd never say that looking at others work is good or bad, I'd just say that it's something I do less and less... probably only looking at the commercially successful stuff to sniff out what's selling...

Is wanting other to look at your work and you looking at others related ?

It depends on who the others are I guess?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 2:16 AM

Quote: probably only looking at the commercially successful stuff to sniff out what's selling...

So you are then Smile

Does it help or hinder you ?

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jul 2013 - 2:17 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 3:16 AM

Quote: Has your approach/thoughts on this changed since you began photography? When and why did that happen?

Ok, I'll bite!

When I first started getting interested in photography, I purchased every photo mag I could find, I was insatiable. Then, whilst looking for my first DSLR, I happened upon this site through a Nikon D70 ad. I ended up getting the D70 and used it for 4 years, a record for me.

Finding this site was a significant event for me; I met some of the nicest folks I've ever known, even though I've never met any of them face to face. We shared our ideas and thoughts on photography and many other subjects, some very personal. You see, I was a member of what was known as a clicque by other members and management, though we didn't think of ourselves as a closed shop or anything like that. Anybody who came along was welcome to our little group, and we didn't shut out anybody. We thought of clicks as greetings more so than votes on each others photos. I looked forward each morning to seeing who had visited my PF, and yes, it was usually the same people, over and over, it was great. We used the site as a sort of social network, and most of us were not fanatics about photography, it was our hobby, and we shared it with each other.

Eventually, our way of enjoying the site began to grind on other members, and it became the dominant topic in the forum, people were getting really bent out of shape, and our way of voting was degrading the value of votes on their photos, in their view. Mind you, and they will deny this, they had their own little clicques operating at the same time.

So it all came to a head, and the law was laid down, and it was considered a terrible thing to vote on a persons photo, and say you liked it if it wasn't award winning quality. How were we to know what the quality was, we were mostly inexperienced, and just gradually learning to do it our own way, which I still do, btw. The interesting thing is that many of our detractors were never heard from again, and they disappeared from the site. It caused poor Pete a great deal of misery, because it divided the site, and changed it's character forever.

So that's when and why my thoughts on participation in the gallery changed; God knows I've tried, but I just can't get back into it again. Why don't I go to facebook, twitter, or one of the other social sites? No thanks, they can't match what we had here.

MichaelMelb_AU
26 Jul 2013 - 3:42 AM

Thanks for an interesting insight. It was not an eye-opener, but rather confirmation that EPZ is (as many others) driven by group interests. Could not be different really, as the same thing happens in life and like minds attract. This is good and bad - as it creates certain challenge for (yet) independent personae, but also creates a lot of business for moderators and traffic for making the advertisers happyWink
But such an honest historical excourse into this subject is a rarity. Thanks for that again!
P.S.

Quote: .... Why don't I go to facebook, twitter, or one of the other social sites? No thanks, they can't match what we had here.

This is a point we shareSmile

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 26 Jul 2013 - 3:46 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 11:08 AM

Quote: probably only looking at the commercially successful stuff to sniff out what's selling...

So you are then Smile

Does it help or hinder you ?

it's usually more to get prices and see what topics people are covering... rather than looking got pleasure/learning/inspiration.

For instance, a local leeds competitor is doing a 1-2 hours family lifestyle shoot for 200 - edited images on disc. Which made me rethink how I offer this kinda thing.

Did I look at the shots..... not really... think he uses Elinchrom Rangers, so was interested to see what he did with those.

I sometimes check out Rankin's stuff, because I follow him on Facebook and get updates - he's been shooting nudes with fashion sketches drawn on recently...

I often get job breifs which contain a specific look - I obviously look at those... Leeds Uni are after something which looks like a Man United shot of all their stars... stuff like that... so you need to take note of those, and even go practice to get the look right.

779HOB
779HOB  21019 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jul 2013 - 11:53 AM

I tend to look at work for two reasons : 1] find out what's selling and to learn the types of photos different publications are looking for. 2] to remind me that it's not all about selling photos, so like this morning I took a look through the James Ravilious gallery on the Beaford Arts site to remind me what I really like doing with my camera.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.