Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Viewsonic 24 inch LED monitor - just purchased and it's testing me

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SteveNZ
    SteveNZ  5 United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2011 - 9:36 AM

Just bought this monitor - good size and high resolution (1920 x 1080)... anyone else have this?
    Colours are generally good, but blacks appear dark grey.
    I have it connected to higher end Acer laptop via HDMI cable.
    Have I missed something in set up?
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks -- Steve

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 May 2011 - 9:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

Not sure Steve, but the black point is usually controlled by the 'brightness' OSD control in an LCD monitor, whilst white level is manipulated through the contrast setting (not always present). Your screen might be too bright - highly likely in a new display.

indemnity
    indemnity  5326 forum posts
    19 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Try calibrating it with colormunki 3 or similar.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Any new display will come with so called " Factory Default Settings " .....Grin

Same applies to Televisions.....Grin

You will need to " Calibrate " your new display to get the best from it, As mentioned a ColorMunki ( though thats a Tad overkill for plain old screen calibration ) .....Smile

Have a look at the Colorvision " Spyder 3 " range of display calibration devices.....They work very well indeed....!!!

As for so called HD monitors being " High Res " thats an advertising con, They are no more high res than my grannies budgie.....Grin

For example I am at this moment using an old Dell 20 inch model 2007FP ( Circ 2007 ) Its not heralded as HD or High Res, Its also the old 4/3 format ( almost square ).....Smile

Its running at 1600 X 1200, Thats 120 more in height than your so called high res wide screen, Sure its 320 less than your screen in width, BUT its only 20 inch, Therefore most of the extra 320 in a wide display at 24 inch, Is taken up by the larger screen dimensions...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore my 20 inch is pro rata a higher resolution display, Than many of the modern 24 inch cheapies....Wink

As for using the HDMI port, From an image data point of view that no different to DVI, The only difference between DVI & HDMI is that the HDMI also carries " Audio Signals " But only if your graphics card/chip supports audio out via HDMI, Otherwise its yet another " Advertising con " and in most cases not much use......Sad

For digital image work I also use a HP LP2475w ( 24 inch widescreen IPS panel ) This runs at 1920 X 1200, Proper High Res dimensions.....Smile

But alas its more expensive than the so called HD screens......Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    User_Removed
    19 May 2011 - 4:23 PM

As above.

If all you want to do is calibrate the monitor so that images display correctly, then the Spyder 3 is a perfect answer* but if you want to match a printer to your monitor so that what you see on the monitor is what prints out, then the ColorMunki is a better option.

* But see other threads regarding both those products sometimes having problems under Windows 7.

SteveNZ
    25 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Thanks all for your advice - very much appreciated.
    Rest assured my decision to purchase this monitor wasn't due to HD hype, but more a case of necessity as the 4 year old monitor usually connected to my PC is showing signs of imminent failure.
    And showing Full HD video clips (that I infrequently shoot) full screen at native resolution is a bonus.
    At under 150 pounds for a new 24 inch monitor I thought the Viewsonic was good value. And so cheap that I can't really justify the expense of Spyder 3 (that I only heard of thanks to your responses) to optimise its display!
    I have since googled and found websites that walk you through manual calibration... which has helped. Although, I've found that even with Brightness set to 0 on this new monitor blacks are still not black.
    Thank you for your comments.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

The absolute necessity for calibration devices is hyped as well. Unless you're specifically calibrating to something, or have a need for critically corrected colour, of course it's senseless to repeat the expense of a monitor on a Spyder.

Beware of internet advice on calibration, however. Keep it as simple as possible, bearing in mind that adjusting backlighting is typically the only hardware adjustment you can make. Everything else potentially hacks into the monitor's output quality, causing occasional problems with banding, etc - which aren't always immediately apparent.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    SteveNZ
    25 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Quote: The absolute necessity for calibration devices is hyped as well. Unless you're specifically calibrating to something, or have a need for critically corrected colour, of course it's senseless to repeat the expense of a monitor on a Spyder.

Thanks Glenn - I came to that conclusion myself. After a few hours manual calibration I had business cards ordered and printed via the interweb... and they turned out exactly as I expected Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.