Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Vignetting - Love or hate?

6 Nov 2010 7:59PM
I use the Vignetting effect alot of my photos. Personally, I really like the way it seems to focus the attention on the subject. IMO, dark vignetting is the best, however for high key photos light vignetting is probably a good idea. But, as a friendly discussion, what is your opinion on Vignetting? Overdone? Overused? or a great effect?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
6 Nov 2010 8:15PM
I think its like most effects out there - it will work for some shots and not for others. Myself its not an effect I particularly lean toward using so I don't edit or shoot with gaining the effect in mind with my shots.

As for being overdone; with the mass production and access to media we have most effects are overdone if you search for them and there are always "bad" photographers out there who will overuse an effect because they like it whilst others feel that its degrading the overall photos appearance.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2010 8:16PM
Like any tool is great when used in the right circumstance
csurry
12 9.2k 92
6 Nov 2010 8:18PM
If the image is strong enough and well composed then it does not need tricks applied in post processing to focus the viewers attention. Tongue
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
6 Nov 2010 8:42PM
Horses for courses, methinks.
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
6 Nov 2010 8:55PM

Quote:If the image is strong enough and well composed then it does not need tricks applied in post processing to focus the viewers attention. Tongue

I would disagree...

There are so many styles of photography nowadays open to so many that there is always a need to improve an image in post processing....

Those that stand still will be consumed by the ever up and coming talent looking for new innovations and applying new theories and tecniquesTongue
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2010 8:55PM
Post processing tricks is when you remove the vignetting Wink
I've been thinking I quite like it actually, with some images it gives a better feeling than a plain boring rectangle, so I might try adding it in in future. After all, the image is really circular, all rectangular photos are cropped (!), see fairly circular uncropped image below

-1020584-1e.jpg

Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
6 Nov 2010 9:13PM
Who's been using crop lenses on full frame then???? Tongue
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2010 9:20PM
16mm TV lens on Micro 4/3 Smile
7 Nov 2010 12:03PM
looking at someone's images where vignette is their style of choice, it seems quite effective
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylie6470clanurbex/
7 Nov 2010 12:13PM
I use it but subtly (I think) and not for all my shots. For me its purpose is to draw the viewer into the photo. I agree with an early poster that good composition will do this too but sometimes a vignette aids this.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.