Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vintage tones - how to get the effect?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chelle
chelle  877 forum posts
10 Aug 2011 - 8:34 PM

Hi there,

Ok, so I don't exactly know how to describe what I mean but I will do my best!

I really like the new vintage type toning that is being applied to photos now. It seems like there is a real trend for it in wedding and portraiture photography at the moment and I am being asked by potential clients if I can do work like this.

I have wanted to learn for ages how to create this toning in photoshop and it is driving me crazy as I can't find any details on how to create the look!

Does anybody know of the "look" that I am trying (badly!) to explain? The photos I see seem to have a lot of neutral earthy colours in them (greens, yellows, browns, etc).
(I could show examples but I am not sure if I can link to outside websites so I had better not!)

If anybody does manage to know what I am talking about (!) then could someone tell me how to get this effect please?

Thankyou! Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Aug 2011 - 8:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2011 - 9:04 PM

Hi Michelle

Try typing "toning an image" in Google. Lots of advice there

Regards
Roy

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2011 - 9:14 PM

I think you can link to an epz image to show an example (if you have found any on here) as its in the gallery anyway.

But im sure the modsallmighty omnipresent shapeshifters will null the link if not Wink

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2011 - 9:33 PM

are we talking tones or textures, something is telling me it could be textures. have a look at Chase,s PF, i dont think that she would mind me saying that there are some stunning examples there, otherwise you would have to link us a sample to help.
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 10 Aug 2011 - 9:35 PM
User_Removed
10 Aug 2011 - 9:39 PM

Quote: modsallmighty omnipresent shapeshifters

Chris! Is that you..?? K? (Whose the other chap..??)

Wink

Grin

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2011 - 9:46 PM

Quote: modsallmighty omnipresent shapeshifters

If I could shift shape - I wouldn't be this blooming shape!

User_Removed
10 Aug 2011 - 10:25 PM

LOL!!!

gpwalton
gpwalton  1390 forum posts
10 Aug 2011 - 10:38 PM

In Photoshop with a colour image on screen, select the Image/Adjustments/Hue and Saturation and then check the Colorise box. You can then play around with the sliders and drop down menus and get many different tones and effects.

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2011 - 10:49 PM

You have a Carapace Chris hard to shift as a mod , but you're probably soft inside.

I gotta degree in behavioural science ya know Tongue

So can we link epz images here or not ? , gotta few Id like to show .

chelle
chelle  877 forum posts
11 Aug 2011 - 1:05 AM

Well, I have found images on here that are similar-ish to what I am trying to explain.

They are the following:

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/bride---groom-18680426

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/fishnet-21264/gallery/photo/wish-you-were-here--1...
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/fishnet-21264/gallery/photo/fields-of-gold-144598...
http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/look-19267268

They're not exactly what I am looking at doing, but close. I've found some things via google saying that coloured washes and filters in photoshop are used to create these vintage kind of tones but didn't elaborate any further.

I love the soft neutral earthy type of tones in these kind of images and would love to know how to get that kind of look in some of my work. Everything looks very natural and serene in these type of images.

If anybody is any the wiser of what I'm going on about, and can help me then please do! Smile

Thankyou!

blackbird
blackbird  7159 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2011 - 8:36 AM

Have look here Coffeeshop for some good stuff to get you started... I use Lightroom and have developed my own presets to my taste. Looking at what's available from others gave me an insight in how to do my own.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2011 - 10:42 AM

i think you would get close in hue and saturation, desaturate and play with the colour slide for tone. the weddingy thing looks like a desaturated layer on top of an original with areas erased through to strengthen colour in some areas, similar to colour popping. there is a million ways to fiddle the colours with layers, blending modes and opacity settings.

also some look to have blended a mono layer with the original at low opacity in darken mode.

why not ask fishnet via private message.

Phil

diverphoto
11 Aug 2011 - 12:24 PM

I found a good way to learn new photoshop techniques is to do a search of Youtube and then tailor some of the variations to your own work. I thought at first the effects would be naff or amatuerish, but there are some great techniques detailed. The key though is to take the initial idea and then adapt it to your own style.

chelle
chelle  877 forum posts
11 Aug 2011 - 2:35 PM

Thankyou to everybody who answered, especially blackbird for the link to Coffeeshop! That kind of blog was exactly what I was looking for!

And thankyou to NEWMANP as now I know the phrase that will help me find suitable tutorials (I'd never heard the phrase "Colour popping" before and I think that's the kind of thing I am looking at)!

I love the forums on here! You learn something new every day! Smile

blackbird
blackbird  7159 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2011 - 4:24 PM

glad to help Smile if you liked that one you might also enjoy Florabella, but their stuff is not free. I have looked but not bought!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.