Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Virgin have routing problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thatmanbrian
    17 Oct 2011 - 11:22 AM

Since Sunday evening, I've had odd problems accessing random websites. Some load instantly, other time out or just hang. I checked everything locally, tried different browsers, checked my hosts file, firewall etc etc.

In the end rang Virgin this Monday morning. An engineer immediately admitted they had routing problems and created a remote connection to my PC and setup a temporary web cache to try and get around the problem. This failed and after several more tests, he ran a trace on my pc and identified the routing problem was whilst hopping across virgin's servers. He checked and the techs had pushed back a resolve date to tomorrow. It is likely to affect a large number of Virgin customers.

Anyway, nothing to be done, but I was impressed by the rapid and knowledgeable help from Colin at Virgin.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Oct 2011 - 11:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2011 - 11:26 AM

We're having exactly the same problem.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2011 - 11:59 AM

I thought all virgins needed routing! Wink

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53623 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2011 - 12:06 PM

Did they just buy a 2nd hand server from blackberry? Wink

davey_griffo
    17 Oct 2011 - 12:37 PM

I had a similar problem.

I'd be following links, & at a random interval, the browser stops following them, saying it can't connect. I'd been playing an on-line game for hours before this, so I was fairly sure it wasn't the connection.

I loaded up my e-mail client, & was able to download my e-mail. However, it again stopped when trying to download my webmail from MSN.

When I restarted my game, that couldn't connect either. It appeared that IE had taken down my connection to the web server, but left the rest of my internet connection intact.

I had to restart my cable modem & wireless router to get connected.

Blaming Microsoft for yet another shoddy piece of software, I downloaded Firefox, but it does it on that too.

I've recently upgraded my PC & gone 64 bit on Windows 7, so I assume it's a 64 bit problem. I haven't been able to find an answer to this yet.

Having read your post, perhaps my blame is misplaced & it's actually Virgin's doing, but it's been going on for about a week now, & you said you'd only had the problem in the last day or so.

Oh well, just have to keep looking for an answer (in between resets!!).

MarkBroughton
    17 Oct 2011 - 9:04 PM

I am looking into a prob for a mate, who is having difficulty sending emails with his virgin email address. he has tried on 2 pc's and a brand new iPhone 4s or whatever the new model is. It collects his emails but wont send. I guess this may be something linked to these problems people are having. Cant fid many answers at the moment. All his settings seem to be fine!

thatmanbrian
    17 Oct 2011 - 9:36 PM

It's sorted. Virgin had a major router problem apparently. Affected millions I think. OK now it seems!

davey_griffo
    19 Oct 2011 - 12:05 PM

I was surfing last night, & didn't have any problems, but it wasn't for that long. Hopefully you're right then, Brian.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.