Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Virus got my 'Anti-Virus' !!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pentaxpete
28 Dec 2011 - 4:23 PM

Having to use daughter's Laptop as my old 'TIME' running Windows 2000 pro has been attacked by a Virus which was activated as I was doing a 'Defragment' == I did a 'Disc Clean' first then the defragment and all was well at first, then a box came up saying something like it could not do the 'Avast Anti=virus' as the file was corrupted and to do a disc check so I was searching to find out how to do this disc check when another box came up saying my Super-Anti=Spyware was corrupted and I noticed at the bottom my launch icon for Outlook Express had gone funny and there was a 'Windows' icon in it, then another box came up saying my 'Disc C' was corrupted -- so I tried to 'Restart' Computer and it would not get past all the technical stuff and finish the 're-boot' -- I cannot get the Desktop any more with all the icons === does this mean it needs to be all 'Wiped Off' and everythinbg re-installed ?? I have been given disc with Windows XP on and kind Club member said he would 'Format' the hard drive for me and try to put on Windows XP ===== now what USE is it to have an 'Anti=Virus' when the Virus attacks the Anti=Virus first ?? !!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Dec 2011 - 4:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 5:08 PM

First off Pete for the age of the computer you are getting into the area you could waste a lot of time for a machine that is well past its best before date. It is also possible that you are looking at a straight forward and simple disk corruption, again nothing unexpected on a machine of this age. It is possible that during your search you have allowed some malware onto your system and if you click on some pages you may have loaded a nasty. So it is possible it is a nasty piece of SW pretending to be an anti-virus package.

But to try and help, how many anti-virus programs do you have running, you should never run more than one as they can "conflict" or fight with each other. As for virus programs, its not a surprise some virus programs go for the protection program. As long as your AV was kept up to date you should be fine. If it was not then it is of more limited value.

The best advice to you is to get a new machine, put the old hard disk in a drive cage and get what you can from it. If not then I would recommend you get the Windows 2000 disks and do a restore, or re-format the hard disk and do a restore to that. You did keep a restore/backup of your computer did you not?

Adding Xp, well its a more versatile OS, but I expect the best way would be to wipe everything of your old computer. But if the problem is disk corruption.....

Last Modified By strawman at 28 Dec 2011 - 5:11 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Jestertheclown
28 Dec 2011 - 5:55 PM

As strawman says, your machine is a bit long in the tooth.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "do the Avast Antivirus" but it's possible that malware is present and masquerading as your AV or security software.
If you can access the machine in safe mode, you could try a system restore to a point before it went wrong. I wouldn't trust that to rectify the problem completely but it might let you use the machine sufficiently top run some cleaners and possibly find out what's happened.
Chances are though, that if the malware's corrupted your AV, it will also have removed all of your restore points.
I've had a siomilar problem twice in the past and have gone down the re-installation route both times.
I'm using XP and have a disc which, once inserted, automatically formats and re-instals the OS. That may be the case if you try your friend's disc. I think that the only way to find out weill be to try it.
I'd be inclined to make a copy of his disc first though, just in case it b*****s up his original disc. It is possible to copy the disc and it does work, that's what I did on here.
That's the cheap otion.
The alternative, I suppose would be to bite the bullet and replace the machine, in which case, I'd restore any files etc. that you've saved from your backup, assuming that you have one.
Personsally, I'd be dubious about connecting a hard drive that's apparently dangerously infected to another machine via a caddy or any other means. I'd rather just get rid of it.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mikesavage
mikesavage  12239 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 7:45 PM

I'm amazed that anything made by Time Computing is still working today! I used to work in a call centre that did finance agreements for people buying computers from Time and another outfit called Tiny Computers. My God, the complaints we had to handle!

Jestertheclown
28 Dec 2011 - 10:25 PM

Quote: I'm amazed that anything made by Time Computing is still working today!

My last machine was a "Time."
We bought it in 2002 and at the time it was cutting edge stuff.
It worked really well too. I used to run CS2 and a host of other things on it and it rarely complained.
Right up until about six months ago when it gave out a puff of smoke upon start up and that was that.

User_Removed
28 Dec 2011 - 10:57 PM

They had brilliant advertising, at one point merged with Tiny (I think). Leonard Nimmoy (Spock) did the commercials.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
29 Dec 2011 - 8:56 AM

anything more than 2 years old ITS not worth messing about with, I know it sounds mad but believe me I am rite
for 200 beer tokens OR LESS delivered, you can get a stunning NEW box 4Gb, 1TB & a chip thats faster than buttons F1

all you need is the SW!

recycle the HD in a external box (make SURE it has pata & sata connectors) as it will be IDE (pata) not the latest tech sata & its many variations, (some wont connect with older boards and be VERY frustrating untill you work it out!)

as was advised earlier strip (bet you aint backed it up?) the data out, or as its w2000 copy the lot over
AFTER INSTALLING AVG, malwarebytes, ZA free, spybot and hijackthis

job done
spock: couldnt see any point to his ears

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
29 Dec 2011 - 11:12 AM

My old Tiny PC is still working (must be around 10 years old), running 'Windows 98', I let the grandchildren play with it.
They press buttons at random and generally beat hell out of it, but it still keeps going, it seems to be indestructible. Grin

Last Modified By macroman at 29 Dec 2011 - 11:12 AM
User_Removed
29 Dec 2011 - 11:16 AM

Made from cast iron and has 184 pin CRIMM? Its a TIME. I'm Leonard Nimmoy.

Jestertheclown
29 Dec 2011 - 12:46 PM

Quote: as was advised earlier strip (bet you aint backed it up?) the data out, or as its w2000 copy the lot over
AFTER INSTALLING AVG, malwarebytes, ZA free, spybot and hijackthis

It would be a brave man that takes that advice.

The infection's in there because it's just beaten most of those.

pentaxpete
29 Dec 2011 - 2:28 PM

Thanks for all your advice --- today i have been to a fellow Camera Club member, a fellow pro photographer who built his own computer and he had a go == firstly he put my hard drive into his computer as a 'slave' then loads of stuff came up about deleting things then restoring things ! And we found MY hard drive and there were some programmes on it still OK such as my PhotoShop 7 but when we put it back into TIME machine it would not boot up properly - kept trying to boot up from the CD Rom drive -- so we had a look at an info page and managed to get the Primary Master recognised as the hard drive but still no fully boot up to Desktop== also,could not install the Windows XP as CD Drive would not work properly === had to give up at the moment !! There was a message like ' INTLR missing' on the information page --- never saw that before !
I was running only AVAST antivirus and Super Anti Spyware on the TIME == not several things as mentioned in earlier reply. I did have AVG free but the 2010 edition would not work with Windows 2000 pro so got the AVAST = I do regular scans == usually nothing found but it usually finds 2 Cookies on Super Anti Spyware of the tracking type.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
30 Dec 2011 - 9:07 AM

Quote: The infection's in there because it's just beaten most of those.

NO its because the OS is OLD and NOT SUPPORTED (as good ?) now or was you jesting?

DOH!

pentaxpete:

I bet the MBR is screwed, look around for a MBR recovery tool usually free
it most probably is that now!

you could also try puppy linux, a doddle and you may be able to reset the mbr there

the best use of avast is the bootable cd for scrubbing when NOTHING is in memory

although I do not usually do standalone boxes now.................
(well, NOW that everybodys an expert! no point and no profit! and you end up owning the PC and its problems for life!) I just do servers, AND you just have to accept that IF you are on the net you will get cought!

so my valid point is get a new box!

yours a BRAVE MAN

Last Modified By pabloisme at 30 Dec 2011 - 9:10 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Jestertheclown
30 Dec 2011 - 1:41 PM

Quote: NO its because the OS is OLD and NOT SUPPORTED (as good ?) now or was you jesting?

The infection got past the AV.

And if you're happy to link a seeemingly seriously compromised drive to a clean computer that's up to you but I wouldn't do it.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2011 - 2:36 PM

Ye sounds like master boot record corruption, or possibly just corrupted BIOS. In some old machines I remember you had to go into the bios and select/check each drive. So I would do that first, it will confirm that you have the CD and HD correctly configured. Then you could also verify that the boot sequence is correct.

pentaxpete
30 Dec 2011 - 3:13 PM

Did not know what 'MBR' was until Strawman explained == well I have another friend coming on Saturday ---- I will show him all these comments -- so kind of you all to help !!! Many thanks and a Virus Free New Year to you all !

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.