Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Virus Protection

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 7121 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2013 - 9:58 PM

Can anyone recommend a good virus protection firewall etc that will cover most things needed these days, especially with dealing with online banking etc. needs to be compatible with windows 8

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Aug 2013 - 9:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
11 Aug 2013 - 10:06 PM

I'm using Windows 8 with just the Microsoft firewall and Windows defender, both of which came with the OS.
I must admit to having serious doubts about trusting anything with 'Microsoft' written on it with the security of my machine yet eight months later, I've never had a problem.

Bren.

robthecamman
11 Aug 2013 - 10:10 PM

avg free version you get same updates as paid version Smile

Willpower
Willpower  3183 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Aug 2013 - 10:22 PM

Combination of Avast & MalwareBytes Both free, covers everything. Been running the pair together now for over 2 years. Zero problems.

Jestertheclown
11 Aug 2013 - 11:03 PM

Another vote for Malwarebytes.

Avast was OK but let me down a couple of times.

AVG was OK years ago but more recent versions, V7 or 8 and later perhaps, caused me nothing but trouble. I don't know if it made headlines on here but there was quite a bit of activity across various sites re. the problems it was causing.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2013 - 7:30 AM

Windows 8 has a very good antivirus and firewall already built into the OS.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43819 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2013 - 7:44 AM

AVG free version + MalwareBytes
Had both for 3 years without any problems at all.

Malc

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2013 - 8:09 AM

Running the same as Malc, AVG + Malwarebytes. I also have CCleaner on mine as well.

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2013 - 8:22 AM

Another vote for free a AVG

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43819 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2013 - 9:06 AM

Quote: Running the same as Malc, AVG + Malwarebytes. I also have CCleaner on mine as well.

Me too, forgot to mention that one, plus SpyBot S&D

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72338 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
12 Aug 2013 - 10:21 AM

I generally base my choice off the top chart at download.com, which has been Avast + Malwarebytes for a long while. AVG is just as good, but I find Avast less intrusive while working.

Dave_Canon
12 Aug 2013 - 10:22 AM

My Bank insisted that I install "Trusteer Rapport" before converting an account to on-line access. I understand that Rapport will stop you from unintentionally logging into a bogus bank web site.

Just after this installation I found that I could no longer access Pay Pal (I could not even connect to Pay Pal). Eventually I discovered that there is a conflict between my Security Software (BullGuard) and Rapport. BullGuard are trying to produce a fix but meanwhile I have to either stop Rapport or stop the BullGuard firewall to connect to Pay Pal. Bullguard otherwise seems very good and is the most highly rated security package by Which? I may well stop Rapport because I store bank connection details in an encrypted database along with passwords etc. so I am unlikely to try to access a bogus bank website.

Dave

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2013 - 10:56 AM

Quote: My Bank insisted that I install "Trusteer Rapport" before converting an account to on-line access. I understand that Rapport will stop you from unintentionally logging into a bogus bank web site.

As I understand it Rapport is more aimed at preventing phshing ansd "Man in the browser" attacks. Man in the browser attacks are really clever (and nasty), they sit between you and your online bank, so that for example:
You make a payment to gas company for 100.
The man-in-the-browser malware changes this to a payment to the fraudsters account.
The bank proceeds & pays the fraudster.
Every time you look at your statement online, the man-in-the-browser malware changes the lines that say "fraud accunt" to say "gas company".

You think you have paid a bill but instead your money is being syphoned off without your knowledge.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
12 Aug 2013 - 11:02 AM

I know that some folk on this chatroom think that it is resource-hungry, but I have been using Norton for nearly 20 years without any problems at all.

For the past few years it has been Norton 360 that handles, my anti-virus, anti-spyware, back-ups, tune-ups, etc., etc. all perfectly satisfactorily.

Just one tip with Norton 360 - when your first two years are up, don't accept their offer to renew the subscription for 60. Instead, go back to Costco and buy a fresh 3-user package for 15.

I think a lot of those free anti-virus packages are fine as far as they go - but just make sure that they automatically update their virus definitions at least daily. I have had friends who got infected while using both AVG and Avast and when I asked them when their definitions were last updated, they didn't know.

puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have Norton 360, which in my opinion is the best on the market. You have 24/7 backup online. If you have a problem that you cannot sort out, they can take over your computer and resolve the issue for you. Amazing stuff. Norton comes out on top on every review I have read, so it must be the best. As Gundog says, don't go through Norton to purchase it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.