Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Virus Protection Software expired?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
13 May 2010 - 6:43 PM

I have just got a new laptop and tried to install norton 360 on to it to find out that it has expired. I can renew it on line for 54.99 or i can go to the shop and buy it. If i buy it online for my computer will it have 3 licences on it like it will if i get it at a shop. what should i do?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 May 2010 - 6:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2010 - 6:53 PM

There is so many free virus pro grammes out there that many on here will attest to being just as good as Norton if not better, Ive had norton before but would still go the free way. I have used AVG for 3 years now with no problems at all and but im sure others will recommend another. This isnt about saving money but not wasting it on an overpriced piece of software.

ray1
ray1  10519 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2010 - 7:09 PM

Why not use the microsoft security software for free. I have used kaspersky for a couple of yrs and found it very good. Cheap as chips as well.

User_Removed
13 May 2010 - 7:12 PM

Use a free one you really don't need to pay out for AV software. I haven't paid for so many years I can remember and not had a virus worth talking about. I run free AV on my daughters laptop, she downloads anything and everything and the free stuff has always picked up all the bad stuff.

This is what I use - LINK

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 May 2010 - 7:13 PM
minniema
minniema  548 forum posts United Kingdom
13 May 2010 - 7:34 PM

Another vote for avg when had the pc thats what i used and never had any problems with it unlike norton!!

Photek
Photek  7 United Kingdom
13 May 2010 - 7:40 PM

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and seems to do the job as well as other free and paid services.

t_downes
t_downes e2 Member 6260 forum postst_downes vcard United Kingdom
13 May 2010 - 7:52 PM

I use Avast free home edition and Micosoft security essentials and both run well.

Tony

Last Modified By t_downes at 13 May 2010 - 7:56 PM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2010 - 8:02 PM

Quote: Free and seems to do the job as well as other free and paid services.

AVG free reported no problems for quite some time until my PC was hit by a virus that really screwed things up. PC locked up solid. Clicking on the AVG icon brought up the error message "AVG has a virus......" and was also locked solid.

I now use Avast Free.

User_Removed
13 May 2010 - 8:07 PM

Quote: I now use Avast Free.

Yep that's a good one too.

BTS
BTS  4 United Kingdom
13 May 2010 - 8:31 PM

I downloaded AVG on recommendation from a friend and it works.................but...........I now keep getting a pop-up saying it has expired & I need to buy a new version..... humn, so much for it being free!Tongue

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2010 - 8:35 PM

Kaspersky is fantastic or, you could try Comodo Internet suite, it's free.

Adam

Last Modified By Toonman at 13 May 2010 - 8:35 PM
Jestertheclown
13 May 2010 - 8:39 PM

Another vote for Avast Free. I've used it for a few years now and so far, nothing's got in.
Prior to that I used AVG for years with no major problems although a couple of minor nasties got past it
I stopped using AVG when they updated from V7. to V7.5 and it b*****ed up my and many other people's computers. There was a thread about it on here.
Before that I used Norton and within days of installing it, my machine became infected by a herd of trojans so that was quickly got rid of.
For obvious reasons, I now won't touch anything with Norton written on it with a bargepole.
I've heard some unpleasant things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well but they've all been through third parties so I don't know how true they are.
I'm always a bit dubious about "all-in-one" security packages and anyway, I'd find it hard to trust anything that puts "Microsoft" and "Security" in the same sentence!

Jester.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95940 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2010 - 8:46 PM

look no further

Jestertheclown
13 May 2010 - 8:46 PM

Quote: Kaspersky is fantastic or, you could try Comodo Internet suite, it's free.

We had Kaspersky installed at the school where I work and it let in a number of particularly nasty viruses so we now use Mcafee. Personally as I wouldn't use either as I don't think they're any better than the freebies.

I use Comodo's firewall and it seems to do a good job but a while back a member had a huge problem caused by their registry cleaner which may well come as part of their suite which sort of reinforces what I said above about "all-in-ones".

I've never used, or heard of anyone who has used their AV so again, I can't comment.

Jester.

miptog
miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2010 - 8:51 PM

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials.

However if you are accessing "dodgy" sites, then don't expect any of the AV to be 100%

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.