Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Virus Warning

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

geniehawk
geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
9 Apr 2009 - 2:31 PM

I have received a virus warning at work and wonder if anyone can tell me if this is real or another hoax. The title is 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK and states "This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vitalinformation is kept."

Jeannie.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Apr 2009 - 2:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 2:33 PM

Never believe uninvited e-mails from sources you don't know - in fact, don't even open them.

User_Removed
9 Apr 2009 - 2:36 PM

By far the safest way to deal with all these 'alerts' is to ensure that you have effective AV and 'Malware' protection in place and that the respective data files are updated regularly Jeannie.

Then have a cup of tea and get on with one's life... Smile

There is an element of 'scare-mongering' that goes on in the AV industry but, with the right precautions in place, one will be fine. Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Apr 2009 - 2:36 PM
geniehawk
geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
9 Apr 2009 - 2:42 PM

Thanks for that Mike, I did know who sent the email, but it arrived at work internally and I was worried about my home system which has Virgin Guard as I use Virgin broadband.

Jeannie.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 2:51 PM

Hi Jeannie. That particular one is a well known hoax but, as the others have said, don't bother opening it.

Viruses can't infect your machine if you don't open attachments or click on links, so don't do so unless you are certain it is safe.

Ian

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
9 Apr 2009 - 3:21 PM

As Ian says it's an oldie (not golden though). Wink

By the way whatever happened to 'conficker'?

Is it still around,or what?

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 4:13 PM

I had one sent to me the other week as a MMS message which my Blackberry picked up, i could'nt open it on the phone so went online to 02 and picked it up there....Bad mistake as it launched with a weird voice saying you have been F........d . The machine an Intel Powerbook Pro turned off and did'nt come back on. It needed a new hard drive.

:-( jk

digicammad
9 Apr 2009 - 4:42 PM

Woah!

strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 4:50 PM

Which OS was that?

The implication is you launched something that re-wrote the boot sector or the drive firmware.That is the sort of thing the VISTA user control wibbery thing that pisses people off, should stop and give you one of its warnings.

My phone was also sent a MMS that I could not open but I deleted it from the phone, just as well by the sounds of it.

Last Modified By strawman at 9 Apr 2009 - 4:51 PM
digicammad
9 Apr 2009 - 4:53 PM

I only ever open MMS messages if they are from somebody I know and they have told me to expect it.

Sad state of affairs that we have to be so paranoid. Sad

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
9 Apr 2009 - 5:39 PM

NEVER open an attachment from someone/business/post card/greeting card you don't expect/don'tknow. That's often likely to be something containing a virus. JNC

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85859 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 5:45 PM

see here for the latest nasties

Adrian

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 11:24 PM

Quote: By the way whatever happened to 'conficker'?

I've just been in USA for 3 weeks & this was all over the TV, newspapers etc, but this is the first time I've seen it mentioned over here. Nothing to do with 1 April I suppose?

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
10 Apr 2009 - 9:23 AM

The latest I've seen in the media is that Conflicker started downloading stuff on 8th April. The content of those packets of data are as yet unknown. I think the experts suspect it's some sort of rootkit.

There's also a reward on offer for information leading to the capture of its writer.

Jo

_
_  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2009 - 12:27 PM

What's an "intel powerbook pro" ????

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.