Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Visibility

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bfgstew
    bfgstew  8668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2011 - 9:43 AM

How can I increase traffic to my web site, I only seem to get 1 or 2 hits a day if I am lucky and some of them are bouncers and the occasional spam visitor!
    Any ideas that help would be gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jun 2011 - 9:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2011 - 9:56 AM

With millions of websites out there it's a tricky one to get traffic you can no longer build a site and expect traffic. Four of the key ways are with social networking (you market it through twitter, facebook, linkedin etc), providing a product or service everyone starts to talk about (so it goes viral), producing content that gets index (So Google puts it high up the page for key words) or advertising (that costs so you need to generate extra revenue to cover costs).
    Each one has its own set of criteria that need understanding and working on.

bfgstew
    9 Jun 2011 - 10:05 AM

Cheers Pete, I do understand the diversity of the web traffic conundrum and it can become stagnant if left alone.
    FB Twitter and the like, I am not a fan and don't wish to go down that route, I have just about enough time for EPZ!
    Indexing with Google would be the more appropraite route for me I think, will have to trawl through the Google 'how to do' pages to get it in motion.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2011 - 10:17 AM

I suppose it's more tricky to get visitors to a general photography site rather than an event photography site. I do cycle sport photography and in the 4 years I've had the site I've had just over 5 million page views, but that is down to cyclists liking to look at themselves and other cyclists to gauge their positions etc. I just wish I had a 1 for every view!
    I've increased the flow to my site by being very visible on cycling forums and leaving cards at races, chatting with the riders and when booked for events my name is there on start sheets and results sheets. I also have my website in my signature on a few forums as well.
    As Pete says as well, social networking sites can be brilliant. Facebook is now constantly one of my top 5 referral sites.

fraser
    fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2011 - 10:17 AM

I'm using facebook and twitter (the latter a little reluctantly) and they have proved to be very beneficial - the website's only three months old now and I'm fast approaching 14,000 pageviews. This, in itself, helps with search engine optomisation, as does regular blog updates (if you have one on your site) and frequent updates to the galleries. Also, link your site to Google Analytical (google it) - this will provide you with detailed stats on how your site is being found and where the searches are coming from. Good luck.

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2011 - 10:20 AM

Stuff that has worked for me (and I'm not one for relentless self-promotion, either):

1. Keywords targeted to individual images (if Foliopic allows this and if it doesn't, why not?). For example, your sunsets could include some location info and your botanical shots could include the latin names. If you can't keyword to this depth, put the info in the image description.

2. Give your viewers a reason to keep coming back. This means regular updates, a 'news' section and an RSS feed (if poss.) A blog is good for visibility (which you have although the link needs to be more visible).

3. Incoming links. The more the better! Put a link on any site you use that offers the possibility. Trade links with friends and have links on your site to resources that may be of use to others (you have some but you need more).

4. Make your site genuinely useful to people. If people think your site is useful, they will be more likely to give you those vital links. It only takes one person to stick your site on a blog (or better still a site like 'Digg') for your hitcount to take off.

bfgstew
    9 Jun 2011 - 11:34 AM

Many many thanks guys, appreciate your feedback.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.