Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Visiting the UK - Photography Etiquetes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2011 - 7:46 AM

Hi All,

I will be visiting the UK next week on business, and hope to get around with my camera for some time Smile is there anything from a Photography related etiquette i need to keep in mind ? I will be visiting the Leeds and Cardiff areas....

Any inputs will be appreciated Smile

Cheers

Prabh

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Sep 2011 - 7:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
24 Sep 2011 - 10:11 AM

Beware of police officers, PCSOs and security guards with an obsessive belief that anyone wielding a camera is a terrorist. Folks with white skin risk harrassment but those of a darker hue risk arrest and worse.

You'll find the civilians very welcoming and tolerant. Enjoy your trip!

User_Removed
24 Sep 2011 - 11:15 AM

Though it's not illegal to take pictures of people in the streets you can't just go snapping away without risking some objections. A lot of people don't like it, you just need to use common sense and not invade people's personal space.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: Beware of police officers, PCSOs and security guards with an obsessive belief that anyone wielding a camera is a terrorist. Folks with white skin risk harrassment but those of a darker hue risk arrest and worse.

Totally b******s - what a thing to say to a visitor to this country William. There are incidents but they are very few and very far between. I've never ever been challenged anywhere and I've been to most of the big cities in the UK, photographed Army camps, Government buildings and all manner of other places.

As Chris says, use common sense, be discrete and you'll have no issues

Andy_Cundell
24 Sep 2011 - 12:29 PM

Prabh

Hope you have a great time in the UK. I would say, unless there are signs up saying 'Dont take photo's', snap away until your hearts content!

Andy

devlin
24 Sep 2011 - 2:51 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys, appreciate all the advice, really looking forward to the trip since its one Country ive never been to before...hopefully ill get some good shots to remember it by Smile

Cheers

User_Removed
24 Sep 2011 - 3:04 PM

Quote: Beware of police officers, PCSOs and security guards with an obsessive belief that anyone wielding a camera is a terrorist. Folks with white skin risk harrassment but those of a darker hue risk arrest and worse.

Did you know the OP was Indian when you wrote that offensive garbage, William?

All I can add to what has already been written is to suggest that when you come to the UK, be sure to visit Scotland. We have no racial harassment of overseas visitors by police officers.

I have only once been questioned by the police while taking photographs - while taking pictures of the giant petrochemical plant at Grangemouth late at night. Even when photographing such a sensitive installation, the police were cheery, courteous guys, just doing their job in a friendly and non-officious manner. And no suggestions, after they had checked I was who a said I was, that I should stop taking photographs.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2011 - 3:11 PM

Prabh, you might like to take a look at this guide on UK photographers' rights - if you have not already done so.

Ignore the rubbish written by William.

franken
franken e2 Member 123125 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2011 - 3:40 PM

I visit Cardiff City centre several times a month with the sole purpose of taking pictures and I've been doing it for decades. I've never had a problem!

Ken

ps. Plenty to see in the city centre and don't go without a visit to Cardiff bay & barrage.

Last Modified By franken at 24 Sep 2011 - 3:40 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
devlin
24 Sep 2011 - 5:01 PM

Thanks Guys Smile appreciate all the inputs...Smile

thewilliam
24 Sep 2011 - 5:49 PM

Several very good friends have suffered unfortunate experiences at the hands of the police, we've all seen news reports and several government commissions have concluded that the police are institutionally racist.

How can a warning be offensive

BarrieNeilPhotography

I've also seen reports that a clown has been seen advertising a fast food restaurant but that don't make them circuses.

Your comments are totally unjustified in relation to the the OP's questions. A few isolated incidents doesn't make it a common event or 'the norm' does it - use a bit of common sense William. Making statements like that is just as bad as saying that all photographers are child molesters etc. You wouldn't stand for that so why make vague and inaccurate generalisations as you have?

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123927 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2011 - 7:02 PM

when visiting the UK and photograph on public land e.g.pavements you will rarely encounter a problem; occasionally the police may enquire after your conduct and the vast majority will be satisfied with a courteous answer.

Where you might just encounter problems is on private ground such as museums, art galleries, public parks and the like; some owners exercise their rights and forbid photography; others are quite amenable and other more enlightened souls positively encourage it as they realise they may be receiving free publicity; museums are usually OK whereas many art galleries recoil in horror at the thought of you photographing their displays.

Churches and cathedrals are OK, the latter may charge you for using a tripod, I have no problems with such a charge as it normally goes towards the upkeep.

Legally people are fair game on public land however some of course may indeed object but as many others positively enjoy their pictures being taken.

Be aware that the UK public are highly paranoid, believe what they read in the press, everybody toting a camera is a potential paedophile, leave the children alone.

Use your head, be street wise, depend on your instincts and at least in my personal experience you will rarely encounter problems.

devlin
18 Nov 2011 - 2:59 PM

Guys thanks for all the feedback again...i had a fantastic trip the countryside was beautiful and all the folks i met and interacted with were extremely helpful , patient and friendly....Scotland was especially lovely in terms of the scenery Smile Iam off to Cape Town South Africa next week now and iam hoping it'll be another good trip Smile

Cheers

Prabh

Last Modified By devlin at 18 Nov 2011 - 3:00 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56444 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2011 - 3:32 PM

It's great to ehar you enjoyed yourself, Devlin. Will you be posting a few images? It can be interesting to see how a visitor views this land of ours.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.