Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vista!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    2 Feb 2007 - 10:49 PM

My daughter in law was just asking me about Vista, not sure why, does she think I know anything about computers? Wink (but I know a place where I can ask!)I bought a Toshiba laptop a few weeks ago, and she has been on the waiting list with John Lewis for a while now. They haven't had any Toshibas, probably ran down the old stock, and waiting for the Vista ones. She's concerned about compatibility with the computers in her school, as it seems unlikely they will be replaced for some time. I would imagine there would not be a problem, everything should work fine. Shouln't it? Wink
    I don't think she can buy a machine that is not loaded with Vista anyway, unless there is some old stock kicking around. Any of our computer nerds, sorry, experts,gurus, have any thoughts, pluses or minuses with Vista.
    Thanks
    Frank

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2007 - 10:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2007 - 11:23 PM

There will be Xp machines for sale for some time. Many places will not upgrade to Vista yet. I know it has been assessed at my work and for the moment it is not seen to add enough to trigger a change, yet. Many businesses will not switch for at least another year. Schools probably an even longer time to wait.

Get a machine that is Vista ready and comes with an upgrade option, but has Xp fitted. Let others do the de-bug.

Vista does sound like a logical upgrade, but if she is not into computers the differences may cause her more problems than the change is worth.

also depending on the software she uses, she may need to check that it will run under Vista. I have no knowledge of a problem, but I would check first.

Lofty100
    Lofty100  770 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Feb 2007 - 12:26 AM

I'm not sure where I was told this, but I have heard that Microsoft recognises programes from previous editions. (For instance XP will recognise Windows 98). If that is true there should be no problem.

Hopefully though there is someone on this board with more technical knowledge than me, who can confirm that.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2007 - 12:39 AM

Quote: I have heard that Microsoft recognises programes from previous editions.

Yes but when I migrated from Win98 there was one program I could just not get to work. But Vista does not look as big a step so the issues may be smaller.

Take-a-View
    3 Feb 2007 - 1:14 AM

Early days for Vista yet and I've also heard that some drivers for printers etc. aren't all available at the moment. Better the devil you know until it's been used for a while.

BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    3 Feb 2007 - 1:49 AM

Quote: also depending on the software she uses, she may need to check that it will run under Vista. I have no knowledge of a problem, but I would check first.

You can download a small utility from the Microsoft web site that will check your machines Vista compatabilty and capability. When I tried it my machine was OK but there were some software/hardware issues that put me off the upgrade to be honest. Just like when I upgraded to XP there were many things that did not work.

BOB

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2007 - 9:02 AM

There is always going to be some issues when a new Windows OS is released, Both Software & Hardware niggles.

The thing that suprizes me is that considering how long Vista has been coming, the availability of the the code & beta versions to all parties, What have the 3rd parties been doing all this time, There really is no excuse for an extended wait for Vista compatible updates OR hardware drivers.

Considering the delays in Vista's eventual launch, We might find that such Software & Hardware updates arrive sooner than we think, The migration issue may not be the hyped nightmare from the past.

V

Sland
    Sland  7225 forum posts Scotland
    3 Feb 2007 - 9:58 AM

I installed Vista Ultimate on Thursday. Initially I tried it as an upgrade from XP but that was an unmitigated disaster as it failed to correctly install the disk drivers and "blue screened" on first reboot.

I then wiped the disks and installed Vista on a clean machine - that went fine apart from it hanging slightly on forst reboot but a power off/on let it continue (it was prob caused by my memory being overclocked)

Once everything was installed I downloaded drivers from manufacturers websites (such as creative for my sound card and nvidia for my graphics card). Here is what I found.

The Creative drivers for my X-Fi card only enable the speakers not the microphone!

My scanner (Epson 1250) no longer worked.

My video camera (firewire) no longer worked.

My graphics tablet no longer works.

Needless to say I uninstalled Vista and restored the backup of my XP installation that I took before starting.

Everything is now calm again Smile

In short this is a very similar experience to when XP was released; there is a distinct lack of drivers for existing hardware. I would guess that you can still get laptops with XP if you want it; you might just have to look around a bit. As to Microsofts upgrade advisor it was very useful to a point but failed to tell me about sound card, graphics tablet, etc not being supported.

Once the drivers are available I can see me reinstalling Vista but not yet.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    3 Feb 2007 - 10:20 AM

Quote: What have the 3rd parties been doing all this time, There really is no excuse for an extended wait for Vista compatible updates

So how does a hardware manufacturer make his obsolescent hardware compatible? Its not just a matter of new drivers.

Unless you have a very recent PC I would not go near Vista

Have a read of this

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    3 Feb 2007 - 10:51 AM

Thanks all, I'll pass this on. She's keen to have a Toshiba laptop from John Lewis, as she has tried mine and liked it, and likes the 2 year warranty that comes with the JL machines, but all their machines are now Vista supplied. She's not a techie, hence the initial question, she's really looking for assurance that she can plug it in, it all works, and will present no problems with the schools computers.Hard to answer, I know.
    Thanks

Sland
    Sland  7225 forum posts Scotland
    3 Feb 2007 - 10:56 AM

As it comes with Vista preinstalled it will obviously "work" however we can't say if things she subsequesntly tries to use will work with it (say for instance that the school has a USB printer that she needs to use - there may or may not be drivers available for that printer).

If she means will it work from a networking point of view then yes it will be very similar to XP from that point of view - the vista machine I built was part of an existing Windows 2003 server domain with XP client machines and worked with them quite normally although it took me a while to find where they had hidden all the network settings Smile

ghibby
    ghibby e2 Member 8100 forum postsghibby vcard United Kingdom
    16 Feb 2007 - 1:50 PM

I've just upgraded to vista ultimate and overall i am impressed with the software, especially from a visual and user interface point of view. Obviously there are bugs at this early stage. More importantly there are software compatibility issues. Vista has been designed from the ground up and is loosley based on the core code for Windows 2003 server. It is not based on the Windows NT line which evolved into win 2000 and ultimately XP. Even though it has compatibility options for all versions of windows it is not any where near as compatible as Win XP.

In short if you use reasonably up to date software such a adobe CS2 you will more than likely be ok, it will not run as fast as on XP but this will change as new software is released. Adobe CS1 has known issues with vista and as such will not install correctly. If I were you i would wait a good 6 months before using vista as sole operating system. I am about to re-install XP as a dual boot for more intensive tasks like photoshop and 3d modelling which are considerably slower than they were in XP.

Hope this helps, Ben

ThePimp
    ThePimp  953 forum posts
    18 Feb 2007 - 8:54 PM

Quote: Even though it has compatibility options for all versions of windows it is not any where near as compatible as Win XP.

Quote: Adobe CS1 has known issues with vista and as such will not install correctly.

I disagree with you there. Run the installer file in XP SP2 compatiability mode and it is all fine (I had to do this to get Acrobat 8 Pro installed in Vista & it runs fine otherwise). In fact anything that doesn't seem to want to install under Vista, right click the setup file and then the compatiability tab, select XP SP2 compatiability & it will then work (as long as it did under XP in the first instance).

Quote: If I were you i would wait a good 6 months before using vista as sole operating system.

As long as any third party drivers are out of Beta stage and working fine with Vista, there is no reason to wait in all honesty. I am using the Ultimate Edition as a sole OS now and on the Core Duo Toshiba Satelitte A100-756 I am running it on, it does everything I ask of it and no slower than it did under XP SP2. As long as you have 1GB+ of RAM then you should have no problems at all (even XP SP2 preferred 1GB+ to run smoothly with major applications). ReadyBoost actually does work as well which is surprising as I had a number of spare high speed USB Flash drives laying about which now gives me the chance to make full use of one of the smaller 1GB ones I have doing nothing.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.