Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Vista/Photoshop

Possum e2
8 148 England
4 Aug 2008 4:15PM
Have just bought a brand new Acer desktop. My techie computer bloke has tried everything to load XP but can't, so I'm stuck with Vista. Does this mean I'd be better off getting Photoshop CS3 for better compatibility, as I gather there are problems with CS2 and Vista?
All advice welcome - am at the end of my tether... Sad
Allie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Aug 2008 4:25PM
no reason XP wont go on ... get a better tech ! I ran CS2 for a while on vista before upgrading to CS3 with no problems . CS2 did not like the aero function , but just switched it off itself and back on again when I had finished with CS2 .
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
4 Aug 2008 4:30PM
I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem loading XP onto a new laptop, assuming you have a copy of XP on disc. I thought you could format the hard drive and load XP from scratch. If you already have CS2 and don't need to upgrade, even buying a copy of XP would be much cheaper.

As mentioned above, get a better computer techie! Smile
janehewitt e2
11 215 1 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 4:37PM
Allie, I had some teething problems with Vista and CS2 but it works fine now. Give it a go and see you might be Ok with it. Jane
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
4 Aug 2008 4:38PM

Quote:My techie computer bloke has tried everything to load XP but can't

Get someone else Allie. It's so simple to do for someone who really knows what they're doing.
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
4 Aug 2008 4:53PM

Quote:(Metalhead, Possum said desktop, often easier than a laptop for drivers and installation)

So she did... Don't know where I thought I read laptop?! In that case, as you pointed out, it should definitely be do-able.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 5:28PM
I believe Chris has the issue. It is often the modern Hard disks that gives the Xp instal the problem. So it is probably the SATA drives that give issues. This is a fairly well documented issue with fitting Xp to modern PC's

But having said that Vista and CS2 should work together. The work arounds are well documented. Why not just give Vista a go?
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
4 Aug 2008 5:36PM

Quote:It is often the modern Hard disks that gives the Xp instal the problem. So it is probably the SATA drives that give issues. This is a fairly well documented issue with fitting Xp to modern PC's

Yup. My 'new' (last December) m/c uses SATA drives and is running XP Pro with zero issues at all. Get a new man in Allie!!

Wink
Possum e2
8 148 England
4 Aug 2008 5:42PM
Thanks, all - will take some of this info in for him tomorrow. Can't understand why it's a problem, as the computer has XP drivers; apparently, even with the Vista recovery discs, it's not playing... Let's just hope he hasn't bu££ered it up completely, sob Sad
Allie
4 Aug 2008 6:47PM
not sure whats causing the problem with getting xp back on yout desktop, if you already have a xp setup disk you could keep your existing hard drive and buy a new IDE one as xp disks may need an external program for sata (usually on a floppy disk) . im kk`s techie and forever sorting our her pc (touch wood, working fine at the mo), ive just bought a 250 gig hd for about 35 quid and put a copy of windows on that as if your starting from scratch. as far as i know, i`ve never had any problems with cs2 and vista on my pc or laptop, so unless you had any problems with cs2, you could try putting cs2 on to see how it goes,
Possum e2
8 148 England
4 Aug 2008 7:05PM
Thanks, Grainge - wish you were nearer! Am gonna have to go with the flow and see if CS2 will work - if he can ever restore Vista, that is!
Allie
4 Aug 2008 7:14PM
as long as you have the restore or recovery disks, you should be ok, the only problem next is installing the hundred and one windows updates for vista. at first i hated vista, but it grows on you like mould and if i had the choice of vista and xp now, vista wins, there are the compatability issues with printers scanners etc, but new items now will be vista compatiable, if you get stuck, let know, G
Possum e2
8 148 England
4 Aug 2008 7:29PM
Thanks, Grainge - I bought the recovery disks with the computer, but he's now having probs even re-installing those... Will know in a couple of days if a solution has been reached, am so fed up of it all (memo to self, must learn to be more techie myself). Will let you know and shout help if I need it - thanks again.
Allie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.