Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vistaprint - VP Rewards scam?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
peterzed
peterzed  8 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2006 - 11:38 AM

I got 250 postcards printed through vistaprint and now find I have a direct debot coming off my account for £9:99 every month for 'VPRewards.com'. I dont recall signing up for this at all and looking at the website I wouldn't have if I'd been asked. When I email through the website I get an automated reply saying that I have to phone them. SO I phone and there is only a message saying the office is closed due to 'technical problems'. Extremely dodgy.

Does anyone else have experience of this and any idea how I can get my money back and stop any future debits.

Needless to say I am extremely peeved.

Cheers
Peter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2006 - 11:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2006 - 11:43 AM

I've used Vista Print for years and never had this happen. I'd be very worried.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2006 - 11:46 AM

Report it to your bank and get them to cancel the DD. As to getting your money back the Office of Fair Trading should be able to advise you there.

Ian

deviant
14 Sep 2006 - 11:58 AM

If you didn't authorise the debit your bank will get it back for you. Been in same situation with a UK company. Bank just took the money back then prosecuted them for fraud.

Buckie_Bhoy
14 Sep 2006 - 12:45 PM

Go to the bank and stop the direct debit, and also ask them to refund the money. They have to do this under the direct debit gauantee scheme. The bank may try to tell you that they cannot do this (they tried to with me), but stand your ground and insist they refund the cash. Will help if you take a print out of the direct debit gaurantee with you.

Also this page may help you specifically where it mentions the case study regarding fraudulent direct debits being set up.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directde...

Hope this is of help

Mark

User_Removed
14 Sep 2006 - 12:55 PM

Worth a read...

deviant
14 Sep 2006 - 12:58 PM

Interesting. I for one will not be doing business with VP again then if they are that slimey.

MeanGreeny
14 Sep 2006 - 1:31 PM

Not so long ago in a Search facility not so very far away

User_Removed
14 Sep 2006 - 1:38 PM

And as pointed out by a poster on that thread:

Quote: For anyone who might be concerned about vistaprint I just used their site; after completing an order you get the option to enrol in their scheme. It clearly states at the bottom of the page

'Enjoy a full 30-day FREE trial by signing up today. After the 30 day free trial, the membership fee of 9.95 per month will be charged by VistaPrint Rewards to the credit card you used today with VistaPrint and then each month at the then-current monthly membership fee so long as you remain a member. Of course, you can cancel at any time by either visiting our website www.vprewards.com or by calling us on 0845-672-2002 and you will no longer be charged. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you pay nothing!'

Reading the small print rocks...

deviant
14 Sep 2006 - 1:42 PM

Quote: Reading the small print rocks...

I agree but I also think a company being that slippy and trying to obfuscate things is not worth doing business with. I just mailed and told them to remove all my details and cancel my account. I'll look for a more ethical business.

peterzed
14 Sep 2006 - 1:44 PM

Thanks magicboy, that is really helpful.

Meangreeny where is the search facility? I looked but it's not obvious to me. I'd have searched if I could find a search option.

As for cancelling, I emailed and called but couldnt get any reply. I think I'll just have to call my card provider.

Thanks everyone for your input, this is a great forum.

Cheers
Peter

MeanGreeny
14 Sep 2006 - 1:46 PM

Top left corner of this [and every] page :o)

peterzed
14 Sep 2006 - 1:49 PM

Gotcha Meangreey, thanks, not the sort of place i'd expect to see it.

deviant
14 Sep 2006 - 2:05 PM

So you have to call them and email support isn't supported. Dodgier by the second I think....

Quote: Dear Valued VistaPrint Customer:

In order to respond to you as quickly as possible, we are sending this automated response to your recent e-mail. At this time VistaPrint only offers customer service by toll-free telephone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We invite you to call us toll-free at 0800-028-8251. Knowledgeable representatives are available to assist you Monday - Friday, from 12 PM to 4AM GST.

Thank you for your interest in VistaPrint. We appreciate your business and your patience. We look forward to being of service to you.
Sincerely,
Customer Care
VistaPrint

User_Removed
14 Sep 2006 - 2:18 PM

Why is speaking to a human, on a freephone number, more dodgy than sending them an e-mail?

Taken from the Vistaprint site itself:

Quote: How does a customer join VistaPrint Rewards?
You are eligible to join VistaPrint Rewards when you successfully complete a VistaPrint order. After completing a VistaPrint order, customers may be presented with an offer page offering the opportunity to take advantage of a £10 VistaPrint cash back offer for joining the VistaPrint Rewards Program. This offer page contains details about the VistaPrint Rewards Program including offer benefits, services and the associated monthly fee required to participate. If a customer chooses to accept this offer the credit card used for the customer’s VistaPrint purchase will be automatically charged the applicable monthly fees after a 30 day free-trial period, and VistaPrint will transfer certain personal information, including the customer’s credit card information, to a service provider that administers the program. As part of the registration process for the program, a customer is required to enter his or her email address twice, and click the “YES” button stating that the customer agrees with the following statement:

“By clicking “Yes” I have read and agree to the Offer Details displayed to the left and authorise VistaPrint to securely transfer my name, address and credit card information to the service provider for VistaPrint Rewards.”

Following acceptance of the offer, the customer’s information is then transferred to the service provider for the program via a secure encrypted link. Customers are then sent a confirmation email which confirms enrollment, a subsequent email activating the customer’s VistaPrint Rewards Account, and a reminder email at the end of the 30 day free-trial period. These three emails are sent to the email address the customer entered in the registration step.

How do I cancel my membership?
Please call free phone at 084567 22002 and speak to a VistaPrint Rewards member representative to cancel your membership.

I think it's more a case of people being blinded by a money-off offer, and not reading the smallprint. I've used them plenty of times in the past and never had money taken...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.