Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vivitar 283...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mad abt cars & gals

Hi! Can one use NiMH/NiCad rechargeable batteries with an old flashgun like the 283?...I've just acquired a Vivitar 283 flash gun (The Light Machine) from Ebay to use off-camera for strobist work...Does anybody have experience in this regard? The battery module says use alkaline batteries only...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Mar 2013 - 1:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andyphotography

Dont see why you cant use NiCads, I used to have one of these flashguns and they were great. I just came across a Vivitar off camera lead for it the other day, very rare but I dont need it anymore.

forestcaver
    3 Mar 2013 - 4:28 PM

Yes you can - I use NiMH with all of my 283s with no problem. Just watch the sync voltages though, depending on what you connect to - the old ones will fry a DSLR....

orangejuice
    3 Mar 2013 - 4:30 PM

I use a 283 regularly and always use NiCads. I have noticed sometimes the high capacity batts are a very tight fit often struggling to make contact in the battery holder

mad abt cars & gals

Thanks a ton for the responses...Smile

@forestcaver: Thanks for the warning, but I have no intention of using them directly on-camera...have 2 fried Olympus OM bodies that are paperweights now...

the 285 will be purely for off-camera strobist use, triggered wirelessly...

forestcaver
    3 Mar 2013 - 9:14 PM

No problem - if I sync them from a camera I use a Wein safe sync.... also if you can find a vari power module - they're highly recommended - make the flash much more usable - almost essential - or you can mod it yourself pretty easily.... It's also worth making/buying some cheap slave units...

mad abt cars & gals

I've recently done my first portrait session with my newly-acquired Vivitar 283, using a set of rechargeable NiMh cells. While it was largely experimental in nature (I used the 283 with a gel as a slaved background light), I was quite surprised to see how hot the flash as well as the batteries got - I had difficulty holding the battery pack...

I shot a total of 99 images, not all in quick succession...I do know that flashguns can get rather hot when used continuously but the heat generated by the 283 was quite alarming....

Could this be due to the usage of NiMh cells or does the 283 run hot always?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.