Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vosonic or Flashtrax

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2005 - 7:43 AM

Any thoughts on either a vosonic or flashtrax tank with viewer.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Feb 2005 - 7:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock
    13 Feb 2005 - 7:52 AM

I'm happy with my Flashtrax.

ray1
    13 Feb 2005 - 7:53 AM

thanks chris, how is it with transfer speed and battery life etc.

chris.maddock
    13 Feb 2005 - 8:10 AM

At a rough guess (haven't done it for a while) 15-20 minutes to transfer a full 1Gb microdrive onto the hard disk. Transfer speed off the Flashtrax depends on the host computer, but it is a USB2 interface so can give respectable speeds.
    When I first got it I filled a microdrive then emptied it onto the Flashtrax repeatedly to get an idea of battery life, I reckon that roughly 3 full 1Gb microdrives can be transferred on a charge, so probably 4-4 1Gb CF cards. It may be possible that my test was underperforming a touch as the battery was new and hadn't been conditioned at all. Even so, I'd be surprised if much more than 4 microdrives could be done on one charge. That is sufficient for my needs as I don't anticipate being away from either car or mains power for long enough for that to be a problem. The battery does discharge over time (weeks/months, not days) if left connected to the Flashtrax, but not if it's disconnected.

One slight niggle - mine can and does display my D30/10D/G5 RAW files but if I delete any it doesn't delete the associated thumbnail files as well. Normally I don't bother though - I just do it all when I get home and can view on a proper monitor. Although the FlashTrax LCD is bigger than the cameras' ones it still isn't as good as a decent PC monitor. I use it just to look through my shots and t ensure that they transferred across properly before formatting the microdrive/CF card.

KRs
    Chris

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2005 - 8:30 AM

Ray,
    I've owned the Sandisk Flashtrax 40GB model for about 10 months now I can highly recommend it.
    I use mine very regualy and it has always worked without fault.
    The screen is invaluable for checking the safe transfer of your images but not particularly high quality for viewing the images on.
    On a fully charged battery (the night before) I can succesfully download 8 full 512MB Sandisk Ultra II CF cards,on the 9th card attempted download a message appears saying insufficient battery charge to complete the download.So to be precise I can download 4 1/4 GB on a full charge (724 10D images).
    Downloading a full 512MB card of 10D Raw images takes between 4.5-5 minutes.

However you may want to consider a newish product which is very similar to the Flashtrax,it's called an Epson P2000.
    I've never used one myself but I know of several people who rate them very highly.
    Apparantly the screen quality is a lot better than the one on the Flashtrax or Vosonic.
    I believe it is similarly priced also.

Hope this helps.

Justin.

ray1
    13 Feb 2005 - 8:44 AM

Thanks guys - would love the epson but its a lot of money and another 100 on the flashtrax or vosonic. Not sure I can justify it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.