Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Vote for me please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sitan1
sitan1  6519 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jun 2013 - 4:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is allowed so please feel free to delete this post if necessary.
I have been shortlisted in the final 10 of the Bowen's 50th anniversary competition which is now based on Facebook votes.
In previous years I have made various shortlist stages which was put to the public vote in which I sat back to let nature take it's course, unfortunately I never got anywhere in any of those situations even though I felt I had a very strong picture.
So I have had to back track on what I thought was right and join the band wagon and ask for peoples votes as I am sick of IMO not so strong pictures winning due to people have 10 billion friends (acquaintances) on Facebook and I just want a fighting chance this time.
Obviously you don't have to vote and if you do make sure you check out the others pictures and feel free to vote on them if you feel they are better than mine.
My picture is labelled with my name Simon Anderson and here is the link of which you will need a Facebook account to access
link to pictures.

I know this will upset a few people who hate it when someone asks for votes but like I said I have tried that and it seems to be a dog eats dog world.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jun 2013 - 4:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

It would appear to be a sign of the times and if this is what it takes to win something, then I wish you luck but how can a competition that's won by having loads of imaginary friends on Bookface be classed as a "photography" competition?

It's the same as being a part of a 'click clique' on here. Any votes that are amassed are, in reality, completely worthless.

sitan1
5 Jun 2013 - 5:18 PM

Quote: It would appear to be a sign of the times and if this is what it takes to win something, then I wish you luck but how can a competition that's won by having loads of imaginary friends on Bookface be classed as a "photography" competition?

It's the same as being a part of a 'click clique' on here. Any votes that are amassed are, in reality, completely worthless.

I agree with you and have held out for a couple of years of doing this as I relied on my pictures but alas it seems to be more about popularity and advertising.
I don't even have a Facebook account and had to look at the pictures using my son's account.
Just got fed up of leaving it in the lap of the gods with this type of situation and decided to do something about it, whatever the outcome at least I tried.

Evertonian
6 Jun 2013 - 9:15 AM

Quote: I know this will upset a few people who hate it when someone asks for votes but like I said I have tried that and it seems to be a dog eats dog world.

Just don't bother to enter as such competitions are obviously 'fixed'.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44056 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2013 - 9:22 AM

Afraid I can't help you. I dont 'do' Fęcesbook.
I agree with the blue liverpudlian...just leave well alone.

Malc

sitan1
6 Jun 2013 - 9:42 AM

Thanks for your input guys, it's amazing how many photographers don't actually do Facebook (like myself) but the companies use this format to judge photographic entries.
Didn't Pete do a theory test on this voting technique a little while ago.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
6 Jun 2013 - 10:06 AM

Quote: but the companies use this format to judge photographic entries

No. They don't do this to judge photographic entries, they do this to build up followers, likers, sharers, and other such marketing assets on social networking sites. It is all one gigantic con.

Have a read at this.

sitan1
6 Jun 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the link makes for interesting reading

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2013 - 10:41 AM

Quickest way to get your pictures ripped off and used elsewhere........Post them onto Facebook or worse still Flickr!

Jestertheclown

Quote: Post them onto Facebook or worse still Flickr!

No one particular photography site is any more susceptible to image theft than any other. Your images are as safe, or otherwise, on Flickr as they are on here.

I don't know about Bookface as I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

sitan1
6 Jun 2013 - 5:45 PM

I would never upload a picture to bookface and the one I did was taken specifically for the competition so if it got ripped off it's not a major deal to me.
With regards to Flickr I only upload 72 dpi at around 1200 pixels max, I have pictures that have been taken but mainly by bloggers so not a major concern again.
If you post online you have to face the prospect of your pictures been nabbed, you don't have to accept it but it may happen.
To be honest I probably won't enter a competition again that is linked with bookface it's more trouble than it's worth.

Still feel free to pop past and leave me a vote this time though on the link in at the top of the page Blush

sitan1
6 Jun 2013 - 6:08 PM

Thought I should upload the picture I took for you guys to see here.

50.jpg

Gundog
6 Jun 2013 - 6:41 PM

I like the shot. It could do well in a "proper" competition.

Entries for the Midland Salon close on 13th June. Why not enter it there?

A medal (or even an acceptance) in a prestigious salon is worth any number of competitions in magazines or on websites.

Here's the link: http://www.midland-salon.com/

Good Luck.

Last Modified By Gundog at 6 Jun 2013 - 6:42 PM
sitan1
7 Jun 2013 - 9:33 AM

Oh well I'm up to 29 votes but someone who has lots of faecesbook friends is up to 71, another one bites the dust, won't be entering one of these again it's soul destroying Sad

Gundog
7 Jun 2013 - 9:41 AM

Quote: Oh well I'm up to 29 votes but someone who has lots of faecesbook friends is up to 71, another one bites the dust, won't be entering one of these again it's soul destroying Sad

But do remember - it is merely a reflection on the number of Facebook "friends" you have. It says nothing whatsoever about the standard of your photography.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.