Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Votes - 1 to 3 stars rating?

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 12:58PM
When looking at the photo gallery, sometime i'm just blown away by some of the shots and a vote alone seems like not enough. I'd like to vote 2 or 3 times for that photo.
I'm sure its been asked before but i can't see it in the forums, so could we also rate with 1 to 3 or 5 stars on a photo?
Yes i know we can also give user awards, and comments to photos, but i just want to give a quick Wow *** 3 stars to some of them.

3 Star *** Wow that an amazing shot and really stands out in my opinion.
2 Star ** very good shot well done.
1 Star * nice shot, thanks for posting

I understand this may though also create issues with some where being challenged about a rating might be uncomfortable. So user awards is a suitable alternative for now.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
14 May 2010 1:06PM
you'll probably be unsurprised to learn that this has been discussed about 47 thousand times before Smile

Basic flaw...

People give friends 3 stars every shot, regardless of quality
AlanTW e2
12 347
14 May 2010 1:14PM
I seem to remember this is what we had in the early days of ePZ and it was dropped because of numerous shortcomings and abuses

Alan
John_Frid e2
8 514 56 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 1:16PM
A popular topic on ePz, and one that stirs many opinions. The only area of consensus seems to be that every system has potential flaws that certain people will get agitated about.

By and large, however imperfect it may be, the current system sort of, kinda, more or less, .......works.

It's never easy trying to please all the people all the time.
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 1:42PM
I can imagine it being easily abused and making for a lot of bias.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
14 May 2010 3:36PM

Quote:I seem to remember this is what we had in the early days of ePZ and it was dropped because of numerous shortcomings and abuses

Alan

Exactly!

Ken
sidaorb e2
8 3.9k 2 England
14 May 2010 5:13PM
**MOD HAT OFF**

The other option would be to completely bin the click / vote thing and then just have it that if you like a picture you actually comment on it, its too easy just to click when a comment is worth so much more. Obviously 'nice pic', isn't what I mean by a comment, if you feel that much about a pic give them a few lines.

**MOD HAT ON**
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 5:44PM
There is no democratic and unmoderated way in which the true artistic value of a piece of work can be expressed. Irrespective of the grief Pete occasionally gets, the EC and HC is still the best yardstick simply because it's a consistent and independent measure.
sidaorb e2
8 3.9k 2 England
14 May 2010 5:52PM
I think the 'one vote a week' is for me covered by the user award, where I select a few and choose my favourite, but as always you can be sure the minute you click one pic another one appear thats more deserving.

Maybe a click every rolling 24hrs would reduce the numbers, I don't know, if that would make it better, but at least certain groups could only click 1 friend a day.

ETA - Forgot my MOD OFF/ON entries Wink
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 6:01PM
I really don't think limiting the number of clicks that can be made would affect the way people actually use the voting system.

I also believe that the site relies on its users enjoying being a part of it. If allowing some of them to kid themselves that they're half decent photographers permits the continuance of the other, very useful parts of the site then that's a small handicap.
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
14 May 2010 6:10PM
Why doesn't epz just have a "favourite" system.

Most favourites receives award
Most commented receives award

Editor choice etc are separate and done via seconding.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
14 May 2010 6:10PM
I doubt that there is a solution that suits all.

Perhaps keeping the votes but doing away with the RC gallery would be one way Wink
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 6:46PM
I treasure the RC gallery Wink
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
14 May 2010 6:53PM
Bah showoff! Wink
It's bad for him I tell you - so young and so much attention - it will be the ruin of him!! Tongue
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
14 May 2010 7:21PM
Everyone pays for the indescretions of a few. After the first 2 weeks in boot camp when he joined the military, our son called and seemed rather excited. "Dad," he said, "Our barracks was number one for tidiness and cleanliness for the past week, and we have pop machine priveleges now." However, the next weekend when he called, he seemed down in the dumps. I asked him why, and he told me someone left a pop can on the windowsill in the latrine, and the barracks lost pop machine priveleges. Must we also be punished for the actions of the few who will always abuse any privileges that we have? I kind of like the 3 star system mentioned by the OP, for the same reasons mentioned in his post. It would seem to give more meaning to the voting system, and would make one think more about the images before voting. 3 stars means you see the image as flawless, or near that level, and only 3 star selections count toward an award. We may ignore abuses as we do now, as they don't mean anything to the rest of us. It would be just as obvious as it has always been, but if you think about it, it may give the people who want to vote for their friends' photos a way of doing it without saying it's an award candidate. Now every vote, which only says you like the photo, counts as a vote for an award. I don't know if my point is explained properly, hope you see what I'm trying to say.Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.