Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Votes - 1 to 3 stars rating?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53667 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

When looking at the photo gallery, sometime i'm just blown away by some of the shots and a vote alone seems like not enough. I'd like to vote 2 or 3 times for that photo.
I'm sure its been asked before but i can't see it in the forums, so could we also rate with 1 to 3 or 5 stars on a photo?
Yes i know we can also give user awards, and comments to photos, but i just want to give a quick Wow *** 3 stars to some of them.

3 Star *** Wow that an amazing shot and really stands out in my opinion.
2 Star ** very good shot well done.
1 Star * nice shot, thanks for posting

I understand this may though also create issues with some where being challenged about a rating might be uncomfortable. So user awards is a suitable alternative for now.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 14 May 2010 - 12:59 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 1:06 PM

you'll probably be unsurprised to learn that this has been discussed about 47 thousand times before Smile

Basic flaw...

People give friends 3 stars every shot, regardless of quality

AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
14 May 2010 - 1:14 PM

I seem to remember this is what we had in the early days of ePZ and it was dropped because of numerous shortcomings and abuses

Alan

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 1:16 PM

A popular topic on ePz, and one that stirs many opinions. The only area of consensus seems to be that every system has potential flaws that certain people will get agitated about.

By and large, however imperfect it may be, the current system sort of, kinda, more or less, .......works.

It's never easy trying to please all the people all the time.

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 1:42 PM

I can imagine it being easily abused and making for a lot of bias.

franken
franken e2 Member 123171 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 3:36 PM

Quote: I seem to remember this is what we had in the early days of ePZ and it was dropped because of numerous shortcomings and abuses

Alan

Exactly!

Ken

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 5:13 PM

**MOD HAT OFF**

The other option would be to completely bin the click / vote thing and then just have it that if you like a picture you actually comment on it, its too easy just to click when a comment is worth so much more. Obviously 'nice pic', isn't what I mean by a comment, if you feel that much about a pic give them a few lines.

**MOD HAT ON**

User_Removed
14 May 2010 - 5:44 PM

There is no democratic and unmoderated way in which the true artistic value of a piece of work can be expressed. Irrespective of the grief Pete occasionally gets, the EC and HC is still the best yardstick simply because it's a consistent and independent measure.

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 5:52 PM

I think the 'one vote a week' is for me covered by the user award, where I select a few and choose my favourite, but as always you can be sure the minute you click one pic another one appear thats more deserving.

Maybe a click every rolling 24hrs would reduce the numbers, I don't know, if that would make it better, but at least certain groups could only click 1 friend a day.

ETA - Forgot my MOD OFF/ON entries Wink

Last Modified By sidaorb at 14 May 2010 - 5:53 PM
User_Removed
14 May 2010 - 6:01 PM

I really don't think limiting the number of clicks that can be made would affect the way people actually use the voting system.

I also believe that the site relies on its users enjoying being a part of it. If allowing some of them to kid themselves that they're half decent photographers permits the continuance of the other, very useful parts of the site then that's a small handicap.

User_Removed
14 May 2010 - 6:10 PM

Why doesn't epz just have a "favourite" system.

Most favourites receives award
Most commented receives award

Editor choice etc are separate and done via seconding.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 6:10 PM

I doubt that there is a solution that suits all.

Perhaps keeping the votes but doing away with the RC gallery would be one way Wink

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 6:46 PM

I treasure the RC gallery Wink

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 6:53 PM

Bah showoff! Wink
It's bad for him I tell you - so young and so much attention - it will be the ruin of him!! Tongue

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014919 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2010 - 7:21 PM

Everyone pays for the indescretions of a few. After the first 2 weeks in boot camp when he joined the military, our son called and seemed rather excited. "Dad," he said, "Our barracks was number one for tidiness and cleanliness for the past week, and we have pop machine priveleges now." However, the next weekend when he called, he seemed down in the dumps. I asked him why, and he told me someone left a pop can on the windowsill in the latrine, and the barracks lost pop machine priveleges. Must we also be punished for the actions of the few who will always abuse any privileges that we have? I kind of like the 3 star system mentioned by the OP, for the same reasons mentioned in his post. It would seem to give more meaning to the voting system, and would make one think more about the images before voting. 3 stars means you see the image as flawless, or near that level, and only 3 star selections count toward an award. We may ignore abuses as we do now, as they don't mean anything to the rest of us. It would be just as obvious as it has always been, but if you think about it, it may give the people who want to vote for their friends' photos a way of doing it without saying it's an award candidate. Now every vote, which only says you like the photo, counts as a vote for an award. I don't know if my point is explained properly, hope you see what I'm trying to say.Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.