Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Votes for amateurs

Wyshwood 3 3 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 11:17AM
Is there a way to separate the noobs from the pros?
I feel the competition element of getting an award is so much harder with professional pics compared to am snaps.
For example, my Pan FZ38 can hardly compete with an Canon EOS 5DII can it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 11:26AM
Cameras dont win comps, quite often the winner of a comp is from a compact but was at the right place. I remeber last year a pair of jeans winning the landscape competition, Camera had nothing to do with it, it was the concept that won
Eastlands e2
4 683 3 Northern Ireland
2 Jan 2012 11:29AM
Awards should be for photos not equipment, a maxim I hope to stick to this week as I begin my stint as Guest Editor, John.
2 Jan 2012 11:29AM
Reasonable comment, although I'm sure I could improve my bird shots with a bigger lens ;0)
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Jan 2012 11:30AM
Some of my best images were snapped on the hoof without any planning or thought behind them, often using a very basic camera.
Some images, say landscapes or portraits, can be more obviously taken by pros as they take more planning and/or lighting, but excellent street or candid images could be taken by anyone.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Jan 2012 11:32AM

Quote:Reasonable comment, although I'm sure I could improve my bird shots with a bigger lens ;0)
It does help to have the right tools for the job but you can still get rubbish pics even with the best gear.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
2 Jan 2012 11:53AM

Quote:Reasonable comment, although I'm sure I could improve my bird shots with a bigger lens ;0)

Almost certainly, but if you don't have the big lens then you're better off trying a different genre.

Put it another way, you're never going to win an F1 race in a Dakar Rally buggy, but if you're good enough you could win in S America.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Jan 2012 11:58AM
most of the awards on here are given to amateurs.... pros are usually too busy photographing trainers or babies Wink
gpwalton 13 90
2 Jan 2012 11:59AM
What is your definition of a Pro?

What is your defintion of an Amateur?

Many unpaid photographers have expensive kit and all the time in the world for taking photos and post processing.
tezquirk 3 27 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 12:04PM
It does seem difficult to get an Award for any photo on EPZ , But like some of the previous comments say its not the equipment that picks the shot .. Smile But I have noticed the voting system seems to be in favour of friends and not the photo's ..
2 Jan 2012 12:08PM
So it may be more about social skills that might tip the balance for me Tongue I'd better spread some love quick and crack some more votes.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Jan 2012 12:22PM
awards are mainly down to the use of textures and clever processing with software Wink
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 1:06PM

Quote:It does seem difficult to get an Award for any photo on EPZ

That can be a good thing, if something is difficult to get, it makes it more worthwhile when you do.

Quote:But I have noticed the voting system seems to be in favour of friends and not the photo's ..

But not necessarily a way to improve your shots Wink
tezquirk 3 27 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 1:24PM
I agree with what your saying Whipspeed .. But it still doesn't justify friends voting for friends photo's , The point of voting system Is to vote for what you think is a good photo...
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
2 Jan 2012 1:26PM

Quote:But I have noticed the voting system seems to be in favour of friends and not the photo's ..

Depends on what "voting system" you mean. If you you refer to click votes on the images then you are right. If you mean awards such as Editors Award or Guest Editors Award then that isn't the case, ( despite what one or two disgruntled people occasionally think).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.